Protests over death of preacher’s students
It was Shravan Purnima, a day when people pay obeisance to their gurus. But most parts of this bustling city observed a bandh against religious preacher Asaram Bapu, from whose residential school two boys went missing a fortnight ago. They were later found dead.
The preacher is believed to be close to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and wields considerable clout.
Clashes broke out between Asaram Bapu’s supporters and those protesting the mysterious death of the two boys in ashram school. At least one car carrying the preacher’s devotees was set on fire in the Chandkheda area. Protesters stoned houses and the police had to resort to lathicharge and lobbing tear gas shells at various places to bring the mobs under control. Shops and schools in many areas remained closed.
Followers of the Bapu retaliated as well. At least three journalists and cameramen were injured outside Asaram Bapu’s ashram when his followers attacked them.
Deepesh and Abhishek went missing from the ashram’s residential school in Motera on July 3. Their bodies were found on the banks of the Sabarmati river two days later. The initial post-mortem report suggested the boys had died due to drowning. But the parents, both ardent followers of Asaram Bapu, suspected foul play and started an indefinite fast.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sangma said the mineral, weighing truckloads, which were dumped in a scattered manner, were being tallied.
- ‘Khukuri’ a brand of Nepalese cigarette has captured the market in the border areas of US Nagar, Champawat and Pithoragarh. Over 90% of smokers prefer to purchase and smoke this not due to taste but its cheap prices, said an official.
- In 2016, the Supreme Court had placed a ban on animal fights during religious and cultural festivals.
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.