Raj ignites north Indian fire, again

Updated on Feb 10, 2008 02:43 AM IST
Raj Thackeray breaks his week-long, self-imposed silence on Saturday, and warns there may be repeat of the recent violence against north Indians, reports Naresh Kamath.
HT Image
HT Image
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Raj Thackeray broke his week-long, self-imposed silence on Saturday, and warned there may be repeat of the recent violence against north Indians.



Addressing reporters, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief alleged that north Indian leaders "come here and use abusive language against us. We don't want violence, but if anyone raises a finger against us, we will retaliate. I will not allow the high-handedness of these people in Maharashtra."



Through last week, north Indians, especially taxi drivers and hawkers, were the target of MNS attacks.



"How come M Karunanidhi (Tamil Nadu CM) or J Jayalalithaa (AIADMK chief) never visit the state, but leaders like Lalu Prasad Yadav and Amar Singh frequently come here and indulge in mischief? These leaders don't create jobs, sending instead hordes to Mumbai… They take away jobs from locals," Thackeray said.



He admitted that his cadres took part in the violence. "It was an expression of popular sentiment against north Indians in which ordinary citizens also took part," Thackeray said. He also cited the example of Delhi Lieutenant-Governor Tejinder Khanna, who had reportedly said that north Indians were habitual rule-breakers. Khanna later issued a denial, saying his statement was misinterpreted by the media.



Thackeray even refused to allow journalists from the Hindi and English electronic media into his press conference.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Naresh is a Special Correspondent with Hindustan Times, Mumbai, since 2005. He covers the real estate sector, in addition to doing political reportage.

Close Story
SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, August 12, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now