Red Bull extends contract with ‘in-form’ Webber
Australian Mark Webber has been rewarded with a year's extension to his Red Bull contract following his first career F1 win earlier this month.india Updated: Jul 23, 2009 23:55 IST
Australian Mark Webber has been rewarded with a year's extension to his Red Bull contract following his first career F1 win earlier this month. The 32-year-old, who has jumped to third in the world championship standings after his German Grand Prix victory at the Nuerburgring, will continue to partner Germany's Sebastian Vettel at the team in 2010.
“I'm looking forward to staying with the guys again next year,” he told a news conference at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Thursday.
“We've had a good relationship ever since we started together and we've been through some pretty tough times in terms of development but at the moment we have got hold of the new regulations pretty well. I think we can have a good 18 months together and we'll see what happens at the end of next year.”
Webber joined the Renault-powered team from Williams at the end of 2006 in what was effectively a return to his former surroundings, having spent two seasons with Red Bull's predecessors Jaguar.
This year he has been one of the quickest drivers on the track, despite breaking his leg in a cycling crash in Tasmania in November, with three second places as well as the win.
Piquet admits future in doubt
Nelson Piquet admitted his future in F1 is in doubt after 27 races without a win for Renault. The 23-year-old Brazilian said he did not know if he would complete this season after enduring a pointless first half of the year.
When asked about his future beyond this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, he said: “No, it is not 100 percent settled for the rest. That is why I am going to do my job and let my father do the rest.
“There was a bit of a mess at the last race, I knew there was a big chance for me to be here — there was just conflict, and contracts, and a conflict of egos between a few people.”