Sagar Bellary returns with Bheja Fry sequel
Bheja Fry director Sagar Ballary speaks to Roshmila Bhattacharya on his plans for the sequel to the movie.Updated: May 02, 2008 15:50 IST
Tentatively, the sequel of Bheja Fry 2 has been titled Bharat Bhushan ki Kahani, but there are options. Sagar Ballary, the director of the surprise hit, is also coproducing the second part. The earlier producer, Sunil Doshi, is out.
But wasn’t actor-director Rajat Kapoor in talks with PNCfor the samefilm? Ballary retorts that Kapoor was only the executive producer of the original and had nothing to do with the concept.
Dozens of offers
After he scored a hit with an obvious remake of the French comedy The Dinner Game, Ballary was inundated with calls from as many as 45 companies for a sequel.
<b1>He says, “Even now, 10-12 of them are in talks with me. I have a three-film deal already with Sahara. But we haven’t signed a contract yet. It’s not important who brings in the money, I just want to start shooting this year. My production house, Park Bench Motion Pictures, is on the job.”
He is no longer with Rajat Kapoor’s company but wants to cast the actor again. He’d also like to retain most of the original cast.
“Vinay (Pathak) had confirmed his acceptance last year. Now, I’m waiting for Ranvir (Shorey) to get back from China. The journey with the idiot continues.. this time the humour will be more intelligent and with a new person to brain fry,” Ballary laughs.
But isn’t Pathak asking for Rs 1 crore to be a part of the sequel? Everyone’s price has gone up, Ballary reasons.
“I don’t know if Vinay’s price is Rs 1 or Rs 2 crore because he’s a friend. We never discuss money. But whatever it is, it’s justified. He was only paid his conveyance expenses for Bheja Fry. Thanks to him, the Rs 60 lakh film did a business of Rs 17-18 crore.”
The director points out that he was a paid a nominal fee. Neither did he get any share in the profits. In the sequel, he promises, no one will be expected to work for free. The budget is pegged at between Rs 6 and Rs 16 crore.
Thriller is next
Plans are to start the film’s shoot in June, largely on Mumbai locations. Ballary is also penning the screenplay of a Marathi film and simultaneously working on a psychological thriller.
“I’m booked till 2010,” he says, resembling a smiley.