Sanjay Dutt asks for another furlough extension
Even as the Maharashtra government has ordered a probe into the repeated parole and furlough granted to Sanjay Dutt, the actor– out of jail on a 14-day furlough – has asked for another extension.india Updated: Jan 08, 2015 11:03 IST
Even as the Maharashtra government has ordered a probe into the repeated parole and furlough granted to Sanjay Dutt, the actor– out of jail on a 14-day furlough – has asked for another extension.
Dutt was released from the Yerawada jail in Pune on December 24, as he wanted to bring in the New Year with his family.
“Sanjay Dutt has filed for an extension, but we are yet to receive clearance from the Mumbai police,” said Rajendra Dhamane, deputy inspector general (prisons). “A decision of extending the furlough will be taken only after we get the clearance.” According to police sources, a no objection certificate (NOC) from the local police station is mandatory to grant a furlough.
Dutt is serving 42 months of his sentence that started in May 2013, in a case related to the 1993 blasts in Mumbai. However, his sentence so far has been dotted with repeated furlough and parole: In October 2013, Dutt was granted furlough. This was extended by 14 days. Then, in December 2013, he was granted parole for 30 days, which again was extended twice. The actor’s sister had stood as guarantor and deposited Rs15,000 as surety.
Dattatray Bargude, senior police inspector at Khar police station said, “We have not received Sanjay Dutt’s application as of now.”
Bargude said jail authorities send the application for verification to the Mumbai police commissioner or the zonal deputy commissioner of police. “We are later asked to verify,” said Bargude. “We will make our observations once we receive the application.”
First Published: Jan 06, 2015 21:48 IST