Sentencing may begin from Wednesday
A special court last year found as many as 100 people guilty in the 1993 serial blasts case but acquitted 23.india Updated: May 05, 2007 15:35 IST
A special court looking into the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts is likely to begin announcing the quantum of sentence for the accused from Wednesday, defence lawyers said.
"Earlier April 19 was the day when the finals orders were to start. However this was posted for May 9," a lawyer said.
The special court of Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Preventive) Acts (TADA) of Judge Pramod Kode last year found as many as 100 people guilty in connection with the blasts but acquitted 23.
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt was convicted in November 2006 for possessing illegal weapons but was absolved of conspiracy charge.
The final sentencing could take a few weeks to complete because Kode will state his reason behind each of the sentences.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has sought death penalty for 44 of the convicts who were found guilty of conspiracy and other heinous charges under TADA.
The March 1993 bombings that rocked India's financial and entertainment capital claimed 257 lives, besides maiming hundreds and destroying property worth Rs 300 million.
First Published: May 05, 2007 14:15 IST