Suspect of German train bomb plot held
The man held on Saturday is suspected of planting one of the two devices.Updated: Aug 19, 2006 20:40 IST
One of two men suspected of planting two bombs found on German trains last month was arrested on Saturday in a police swoop on the railway station in the northern city of Kiel, prosecutors announced.
German investigators suspect the two homemade bombs, found on July 31 on trains in the railway stations of Dortmund and Koblenz, were part of a failed terror attack.
The man held on Saturday is suspected of planting one of the two devices.
The prosecutors said he would be brought before an examining magistrate on Sunday in the western city of Karlsruhe, while Federal Prosecutor Monika Harms would provide more details of the arrest later on Saturday.
The railway station in Kiel was closed on Saturday morning for five hours as part of "ongoing investigations by federal police," a regional police spokesman said.
Investigators first thought that the devices were a blackmail attempt, but analysis of the contents revealed a possible link to Lebanon.
"We are now working on the basis that this was the work of a terrorist group based in Germany and that it was an attempt to kill a large number of people," Rainer Griesbaum, a federal prosecutor, told a press conference on Friday.
The head of the Federal Crime Office, Joerg Ziercke, said the bombs were packed into identical black cases and consisted of gas canisters, alarm clocks, wires and batteries and soft drink bottles filled with a flammable liquid.
First Published: Aug 19, 2006 20:17 IST