'Swajaldhara' water supply scheme for 11 Meghalaya villages | india | Hindustan Times
  • Friday, Jul 20, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 20, 2018-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

'Swajaldhara' water supply scheme for 11 Meghalaya villages

The 'Swajaldhara' water supply scheme was approved for implementation in 11 villages in Meghalaya's remote West Garo Hills district, official sources said today.

india Updated: Jul 16, 2003 10:41 IST

The 'Swajaldhara' water supply scheme was approved for implementation in 11 villages in Meghalaya's remote West Garo Hills district, official sources said on Tuesday.

'Swajaldhara', a participatory and community-led rural water supply scheme, is aimed at making drinking water available in all rural areas with 10 per cent of the cost met through contributions by the beneficiary villages. The remaining 90 per cent cost would be borne by the Centre.

Out of the villages' contribution half would be in cash and the other half by way of manpower, the sources said.

The district-level executive committee met the deputy commissioner's office at Tura yesterday and approved the proposal as prepared by the executive engineer of public health division. The proposal would now be forwarded to the state level committee here for its approval.

The estimated cost of the proposed scheme was Rs 15.5 crore, the sources added.