Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 19, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Taliban militants burn down 3 Afghan schools

The newly-built schools, where 1,000 boys and girls studied, were gutted on Friday night in different parts of Nawa district.

india Updated: Jan 28, 2006 14:40 IST
Reuters
Reuters
None

Taliban insurgents have torched three schools in a restive southern province of Afghanistan, the latest attacks in the militants' campaign against the US-backed government and its efforts to promote education.

The three newly-built schools, where 1,000 boys and girls studied, were gutted on Friday night in different parts of Nawa district in Helmand province, said provincial education chief Mohammad Qasim.

"I can say that the Taliban were behind this," Qasim said on Saturday, adding that no one was hurt in the attacks.

Taliban spokesmen were not immediately available for comment.

The Taliban banned girls from school during their rule, which ended when they were ousted by US-led forces in late 2001 after the Islamists refused to hand over Osama bin Laden, architect of the September 11 attacks on the United States.

Since then, insurgents battling US and government forces have launched numerous attacks on schools and teachers, including deadly attacks in recent weeks in Helmand, where British troops will soon be based.

Suspected Taliban gunmen dragged a teacher from his classroom and shot him at the gates of his school in December after he had ignored warnings to stop teaching boys and girls, officials said.

In a separate attack, also in December, gunmen shot and killed an 18-year-old male student and a guard at another school in Helmand.

The gunmen opened fire on teachers and said they would be killed unless the schools were shut down, police said.

In Zabul province, also in the south, a teacher was dragged from his home and beheaded last month.

Dozens of people, most of them civilians, have been killed in a wave of attacks -- including 13 suicide bombings -- across Afghanistan's south and east in recent months.

The government blames Taliban fighters and their Al-Qaeda allies, saying the militants want to frighten off NATO members from a planned expansion of their Afghan peacekeeping force.

On Thursday Britain announced it would send 3,300 more troops to Afghanistan, bringing its total there to 5,700 after it takes over command of the NATO mission in May.

The new troops include a so-called Provincial Reconstruction Team, which will aim to establish security for development in Helmand.

The militants are mostly active in the south and east, close to the border with Pakistan.

First Published: Jan 28, 2006 14:40 IST