On Teacher’s Day, here are 5 things you could gift the person who comes between your success and failure.india Updated: Sep 04, 2010 00:34 IST
1. If you hold your teacher in high esteem, this classic DVD will help you win some more brownie points. In the film, Sidney Poitier plays a black teacher in a white London slum facing students who distrust him because of his colour.
Gradually, through some really unconventional teaching techniques (including throwing away the books) he turns the lives of the kids around. In the process, they learn to call him “Sir.” R250.
2. The short novel by James Hilton tells the story of a shy English teacher who devotes his life to his students at Brookfield, a fictional boys’ boarding school. The book, first published in 1934, inspired an award-winning movie five years later. R295.
3. An American musical comedy directed by Richard Linklater, the 2003 film was a hit with music lovers. The plot of School of Rock centres on hard rock singer and guitarist Dewey Finn (Jack Black), who is kicked out of his band and disguises himself as a substitute teacher at a popular prep school and inspires a band of fifth-graders to win the Battle of the Bands. The perfect movie for all those ex-cool teachers. R499.
4. 'Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2' (We don’t need no education...) became the anthem of a generation that grew up listening to Pink Floyd. If the lyrics, which rebel against mind-control, also inspire you, you could, perhaps, consider gifting the iconic album to your favourite teacher. R 645.
5. In case you want to really get into the swing of things this Teacher's Day and raise a toast to the professor who made a difference to your life —for better or for worse — you could share a bottle of premium Teacher’s Highland Cream with your mentor. A 750 ml bottle is priced at around R950 at your friendly neighbourhood vend.
First Published: Sep 04, 2010 00:24 IST