The Lahore Declaration
The following is the full text of declaration signed by Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharrif at Lahore on February 21, 1999.india Updated: Jul 23, 2003 18:21 IST
The Prime Ministers of the Republic of India and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan:
Sharing a vision of peace and stability between their countries, and of progress and prosperity for their peoples;
Convinced that durable peace and development of harmonious relations and friendly cooperation will serve the vital interests of the peoples of the two countries, enabling them to devote their energies for a better future;
Recognising that the nuclear dimension of the security environment of the two countries adds to their responsibility for avoidance of conflict between the two countries;
Committed to the principles and purposes of the Charter of the United Nations, and the universally accepted principles of peaceful co- existence;
Reiterating the determination of both countries to implementing the Simla Agreement in letter and spirit;
Committed to the objective of universal nuclear disarmament and non-proliferartion;
Convinced of the importance of mutually agreed confidence building measures for improving the security environment;
Recalling their agreement of 23rd September, 1998, that an environment of peace and security is in the supreme national interest of both sides and that the resolution of all outstanding issues, including Jammu and Kashmir, is essential for this purpose;
Have agreed that their respective Governments:
* shall intensify their efforts to resolve all issues, including the issue of Jammu and Kashmir.
* shall refrain from intervention and interference in each other's internal affairs.
shall intensify their composite and integrated dialogue process for an early and positive outcome of the agreed bilateral agenda.
* shall take immediate steps for reducing the risk of accidental or unauthorised use of nuclear weapons and discuss concepts and doctrines with a view to elaborating measures for confidence building in the nuclear and conventional fields, aimed at prevention of conflict.
* reaffirm their commitment to the goals and objectives of SAARC and to concert their efforts towards the realisation of the SAARC vision for the year 2000 and beyond with a view to promoting the welfare of the peoples of South Asia and to improve their quality of life through accelerated economic growth, social progress and cultural development.
* reaffirm their condemnation of terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and their determination to combat this menace.
*shall promote and protect all human rights and fundamental freedoms.
Signed at Lahore on the 21st day of February 1999.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee,Muhammad Nawaz Sharif,
Prime Minister,Prime Minister,
Republic of IndiaIslamic Republic of Pakistan
First Published: May 20, 2003 00:00 IST