Two day LS session to be convened
Preparing for the confidence vote in Parliament on July 22, top UPA leaders today held a strategy session here with alliance Chairperson Sonia Gandhi expressing confidence of proving majority in the Lok Sabha.
The meeting, which was attended by representatives of most UPA constituents, assessed the numbers that the ruling coalition has on its side after the exit of 59 Left Party MPs, whose dissociation was regretted by Gandhi.
With the government seeking a trust vote on July 22, Gandhi said it was time for the UPA "to look ahead" after Left's withdrawal of support and praised Samajwadi Party for supporting the coalition.
"I have no doubt that we shall prove our majority," she said in her opening remarks at a meeting of the UPA Coordination Committee where Prime Minister Manmohan Singh explained the developments related to the nuclear deal.
A highlight of the meeting was the presence of JMM MP Hemlal Murmu amid speculation that the five-MP strong Jharkhand outfit was unhappy with the Congress after its supremo Shibu Soren was not re-inducted into the Government.
LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan was not present at the meeting as he is away in London. Also absent was AIMIM MP Asaduddin Owaisi, who was attending to some family matters in Hyderabad.
Gandhi thanked the Left parties "who have been with us during these last four years" and said without their support the UPA could not have been formed and "a good deal" of what has been "achieved" would not have been possible.
"Unfortunately, we could not carry them with us on the nuclear agreement despite our best efforts. While we regret their withdrawal of support, it is now time to look ahead," she said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The aim is to provide a level-playing field in media and a platform to redress public grievances against digital media
- Razdan said she has lodged a complaint with the police and requested “immediate steps to identify, apprehend and prosecute perpetrators of this abominable attack".
- Srinivasan had been on several long bike tours and expeditions, travelling to 36 countries and several continents, including America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- While Hindi and English have been mostly used during the proceedings of the House, members preferring to speak in the 21 other scheduled Indian languages has increased to over five times per sitting in 2020 compared to the 14-year period between 2004-17.
- Cold wave or 'severe’ cold wave conditions are also very likely over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and east Madhya Pradesh during the next two days