Unhappy doc turns to prostitution
A frustrated doctor has closed his medical practice in a small northern New Zealand seaside settlement and plans to reopen his surgery as a brothel next month.
Neil Benson closed his Cooper's Beach practice last year, complaining of a lack of support from health authorities, other doctors and the community.
He has since been granted a brothel licence and plans to offer an upmarket service for tourists and locals in the town about 350 kilometres (220 miles) north of Auckland.
"It's about providing a private service and maintaining confidentiality, which is what my medical practice was about - so it's not a big leap, really," Benson was quoted as saying by the Northern Advocate newspaper on Monday.
Locals were sceptical that clients would be able to maintain their confidentiality in such a small town or that there would be enough tourists to make the brothel viable.
"We are a small, family destination. We are not a place where a lot of single blokes come," said one local resident, who did not want to be named.
Another said Benson might be trying to get back at the community for not supporting his medical clinic.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy issued notice to Sivasankar on ED’s plea but refused to stay the HC order. The bench enquired from the counsel for Sivasankar if he was already out of jail.
- The Indian and Pakistani armies have said they began strictly adhering to a ceasefire on the LoC in J-K from the midnight of February 24.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- Irani was speaking about ‘Women Power in Democracy', at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication in New Delhi.
- Following an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.