Gujjars call mahapanchayat on May 23 to take final call on quota agitation

The announcement came after a three-hour-long meeting of the community leaders at Adda village in Bharatpur district on Tuesday
Gujjar leader Col Kirori Singh Bainsla at Tuesday’s mahapanchayat in Bharatpur’s Adda village.(HT Photo)
Gujjar leader Col Kirori Singh Bainsla at Tuesday’s mahapanchayat in Bharatpur’s Adda village.(HT Photo)
Updated on May 15, 2018 10:11 PM IST
Copy Link
Hindustan Times, Jaipur | By

The Gujjars will hold a mahapanchayat at Pilupura in Bharatpur district on May 23 to take a final decision on launching an agitation over their demand for 5% reservation.

The announcement came after a three-hour-long meeting of the community leaders at Adda village in Bharatpur district on Tuesday.

Talking to reporters, Gujjar leader Col Kirori Singh Bainsla said that the Gujjar community members will gather in Pilupura to pay tribute to the martyrs killed during the previous agitation in 2008.

“I urge the people of my community to assemble in large numbers in Pilupura for a direct fight for quota,” he said. Adding, “I am not happy with the talks held with the government. I want them to carve out 5% reservation out of OBC quota. I am also trying to protect the members of my community and don’t want a repeat of the incidents that took place in 2008.”

More than 72 people have been killed since 2007 when the Gujjars, who form 7% of the state’s population, launched an agitation demanding 5% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions.

Meanwhile, security has been tightened in Bharatpur. Five companies of Rajasthan Armed Constabulary (RAC) and three companies of Railway Protection Force (RPF) have been deployed in Bayana.

“Adequate security arrangements have been made, and we will ensure that similar security arrangements are in place on May 23 too,” Bharatpur SP Anil Kumar Tank said.

“Section 144 has been imposed in Bharatpur district till May 31 and additional police force sought in view of the mahapanchayat in Bayana,” Bharatpur divisional commissioner Subir Singh said.

Talks between the government and a 15-member delegation of Gujjars held in Jaipur on Monday failed to achieve a breakthrough.

The Gujjars are demanding a separate 5% reservation within the 21% OBC quota. Himmat Singh, spokesperson of the Gujjar Arakshan Sangarsh Samiti, expressed his disappointment and said they have not made much progress during the talks.

In Rajasthan, the total reservation is 49% in three categories—OBC (21%), SC (16%) and ST (12%).

Meanwhile, another group of Gujjars, led by Akhil Bhartiya Gurjar Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti Ramvir Singh Bidhuri, has announced a panchayat in Moroli village against the mahapanchayat called by Bainsla.

Bidhuri, a former MLA from Badarpur in Delhi, said the Moroli panchayat will decide on launching a non-violent agitation to demand reservation.

Earlier, community members from 80 villages had announced to boycott the agitation call given by Bainsla.

The Rajasthan Assembly had in October last year passed a bill to raise OBC reservation from 21 to 26 per cent to provide five per cent quota to Gujjars and other castes. However, the high court stayed the bill as it would have increased the reservation to 54 per cent. Later, the Supreme Court also directed the state government not to exceed the 50 per cent reservation limit.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • As Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) has prohibited eateries from automatically or by default levying service charges on food bills, restaurateurs feel this isn’t in the welfare of their staff. (Photo: Sanchit Khanna/HT)

    Staff will suffer, feels restauranteurs; customers happy

    On Monday, the Central Consumer Protection Authority prohibited eateries from automatically or by default levying service charges on food bills. This decision has left restaurateurs feeling anxious as they think this isn't in the welfare of their staff. Prabhat Verma, who runs a food group, DRAG, says he's happy and excited with this change. Another foodie, Priyanka Talreja, says as a customer and frequent visitor to restaurants, it was a much-needed move.

  • Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal (right) with deputy CM Manish Sisodia in the state assembly on Tuesday. (HT Photo)

    ‘Biggest proof of honesty’: Kejriwal, Sisodia hail CAG report on surplus revenue

    A day after the Comptroller and Auditor General of India said in an audit report that Delhi has been recording a revenue surplus since 2015, chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday said the numbers are the “biggest proof” of the Aam Aadmi Party's “honesty”. Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia presented the 2021 CAG report on state finances, for the financial year ending March 2020, in the Delhi assembly on Tuesday.

  • Despite spending around <span class='webrupee'>₹</span>20 crore on a sewerage system in the town in 2019, not even a single legitimate connection has been allotted to the households. (Image for representational purpose)

    No sewer connection allotted in Sangrur’s Bhawanigarh since 2019

    The municipal council of Sangrur's Bhawanigarh town has turned a mute spectator while residents are constantly enjoying unauthorised sewer connections, resulting in loss of crores to the civic body every year. Despite spending around Rs 20 crore on a sewerage system in the town in 2019, not even a single legitimate connection has been allotted to the households. This is despite the implementation of 'One Time Settlement Policy' in the state.

  • The accused were identified as Lachman Singh of Ghal Khurd village and Sukhpal Singh of Macchi Bugra village, both in Ferozepur district. (Image for representational purpose)

    Punjab: Two aides of A-category gangster held with weapons in Moga

    Moga police on Tuesday arrested two close aides of fugitive A-category gangster Arshdeep Singh, alias Arsh Dalla, with three pistols. The police claimed that one of the accused was among two shooters, who had opened fire outside the house of panchayat secretary Sukhveer Singh in Moga's Dalla village. The accused were identified as Lachman Singh of Ghal Khurd village and Sukhpal Singh of Macchi Bugra village, both in Ferozepur district.

  • AAP MLA from Amritsar North and former IPS officer Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh on Tuesday hailed the Punjab and Haryana high court’s decision to dispose of the petitions seeking quashing of FIR in case of Behbal Kalan firing that killed two Sikh protesters in 2015. (HT Photo for representational purpose)

    Behbal Kalan firing case: Kunwar Vijay calls HC verdict victory of truth

    AAP MLA from Amritsar North and former IPS officer Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh on Tuesday hailed the Punjab and Haryana high court's decision to dispose of the petitions seeking quashing of FIR in case of Behbal Kalan firing that killed two Sikh protesters in 2015. Process of trial will be initiated in Faridkot court on the basis of challan submitted by the team of Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh, he added.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, July 06, 2022