Tonal layering: Key FW 21 trend
Fashion is often an anthropological commentary about what’s going on in the world. With the world at large still far away from Covid-19 recovery, designers at the recently concluded Milan Fashion Week had comfort layering on their mind along with an earthy palette. No surprises there as we could all use some soothing hues and forgiving tailoring at this point. Alessandro Sartori at Zegna showcased an array of chore coats and relaxed-tailored suits clubbed with cozy knitwear underneath - all layered up in a delicious palette of cappuccino, biscotti and caramel. Tod’s digital showcase clashed beige corduroy with sandy suede and Silvia Fendi layered long johns with cardigan scarves in the same family of colours.
Stylist Akshay Tyagi sees this as fashion’s way of returning to embracing earthiness. “The menswear presentations sent out a meaningful sartorial message of a comfort-driven wardrobe consisting of boxy tailored pieces in a muted palette. However, if I were to use any of these layered looks to style actors back home then heavy layering may not necessarily work. For instance, I’d love to style Sidharth Malhotra in a classic knit and baggy trousers - both tonally paired. On the other hand, I’d like to give Varun Dhawan a salmon pink jumper layered with a rust coat. .
Stylist Isha Bhansali opines that the warm hues of deep chocolate browns, sands, cream, slate grey showcased this season can be pulled off smoothly. “Tone on tone will be at the forefront this year. Having said that, I’d like to add that avoid using shades like red or pink in these clean looks. If you want to pop, say with an accessory then opt for a pastel option and avoid candy tones,” says she. .
Stylist Eshaa Amiin seconds that. “When you’re trying to create this tonal layering, play it up with a cool accessory which is not in a stark contrast. Say a camel look can be offset with an off-white or cream or tan bag. Moreover, a tone on tone ensemble like say one comprising shades of black, grey and charcoal makes you look taller. For instance, if you are opting for an all denim ensemble, then finish it off with a pair of navy sneakers or brogues,” she says.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- For her much anticipated interview with the media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle wore a black silk dress and showed that she knows how to do maternity fashion right.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.
- For a recent shoot, Kiara Advani wore a beautiful bralette and skirt co-ord set. The Kabir Singh actor made it clear that summer is here in her matching attire and we love it.
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation
- Sara Ali Khan’s white ruffle cold-shoulder playsuit at Manish Malhotra’s house party last month made jaws drop in awe and set the mercury soaring but the good news is that you can add the ravishing ensemble to your vacay wardrobe too without burning a hole in your pocket