Covid-19: Pandemic hits Haj 2020; saddens would-be pilgrims

Updated on Jul 23, 2020 12:04 PM IST

For the first time in the modern era, amidst efforts to curb Covid-19, Muslims from abroad will be unable to attend the pilgrimage.

FILE PHOTO: Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba and pray at the Grand mosque at the end of their Haj pilgrimage in the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia August 13, 2019.(REUTERS/Umit Bektas/File Photo)
FILE PHOTO: Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba and pray at the Grand mosque at the end of their Haj pilgrimage in the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia August 13, 2019.(REUTERS/Umit Bektas/File Photo)
Riyadh | ByReuters | Posted by Saumya Sharma

This year’s haj will be a time of sadness for many Muslims around the world prevented from travelling to Saudi Arabia, but a decision to honour local health and security staff in the front line of the fight against the coronavirus has won praise.

For the first time in the modern era, amidst efforts to curb Covid-19, Muslims from abroad will be unable to attend the pilgrimage.

This year’s event has been limited to about 1,000 pilgrims from within Saudi Arabia, 70% of whom will be foreign residents of the kingdom.

The remaining 30% will be drawn from Saudi healthcare workers and security personnel who have recovered from the coronavirus, as a gesture of thanks for their sacrifice.

“Haj this year is for the heroes who saved the country and saved our people, they deserve it ... I personally would have loved to go but there are priorities,” said Saudi citizen Nour al Ghamdi.

Those chosen will receive supplies including special ihram garments, toiletries, and a prayer rug in a suitcase from the Saudi haj ministry, as well as pre-arranged meals. They will be required to maintain social distancing.

Like many Muslims around the world, Egyptian Mahmoud Ali Mahmoud, 55, laments the restriction to domestic pilgrims.

“As you can see, I had everything prepared. Here is my Quran, my ihram clothing, my garment,” he said, opening his packed suitcase.

“The time that one can spend there could be a time for us to pray that God rids the world of this pandemic,” he said from his Cairo home.

Mahmoud Ali 55 years old, a man whose pilgrimage trip was cancelled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), holds his haj clothes at his home, in Cairo, Egypt, July 15, 2020. (REUTERS/Sayed Sheasha)
Mahmoud Ali 55 years old, a man whose pilgrimage trip was cancelled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), holds his haj clothes at his home, in Cairo, Egypt, July 15, 2020. (REUTERS/Sayed Sheasha)

Some 2.5 million Muslims typically visit the holiest sites of Islam in Mecca and Medina for the week-long pilgrimage, due to start on July 28. A once-in-a-lifetime duty for able-bodied Muslims who can afford the cost, it is usually extremely crowded.

Dhera Arizona, 31, had been saving up for seven years to travel to Mecca from Indonesia this year.

“We are disappointed and sad,” she said, but “we understand that in this kind of pandemic situation, it is impossible to hold the worship service”.

Official figures show that the haj and the year-round umrah pilgrimage earn the kingdom about $12 billion a year. Minimizing the event will hurt government finances, already hit by falling oil prices and the pandemic.

(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)

Follow more stories on Facebook and Twitter

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, January 29, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals