Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee to see four-day celebrations, Britons will plant trees to mark 70 years on throne
Britons will be encouraged to plant trees to celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s 70th anniversary on the throne as part of a plan to create a greener country in honour of her seven decades of service.
The 94-year-old, the longest-reigning monarch in British history, is due to mark her Platinum Jubilee in February 2022.
The government is planning a four-day celebration that summer, featuring an extra day’s public holiday, with tree planting to be a feature of the milestone, according to an announcement on Sunday.
Named “The Queen’s Green Canopy,” the charity-backed project will encourage communities, schools, councils and landowners to plant native trees to help the environment and make local areas greener.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that the health crisis and pandemic had reminded people of the importance of nature and green spaces and that trees could transform communities as well as tackling climate change.
“As we celebrate Her Majesty’s incredible 70 years of service, I encourage everyone to get behind this scheme and go ‘Plant a Tree for the Jubilee,’“ Johnson said.
Charities Cool Earth and The Woodland Trust said the planting of trees would create a special gift for the monarch, who has planted more than 1,500 trees around the world during her reign.
Elizabeth, who is also the world’s current oldest and longest-reigning monarch, became queen on Feb 6, 1952, following the death of her father King George VI.
The British royal family have been vocal campaigners on a host of environmental issues, with Elizabeth’s son Prince Charles speaking out for decades about the impact of climate change and the importance of conservation, and her grandson Prince William also taking up the mantle.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Imposing the strictest measures ever since the coronavirus outbreak last year, Norway closes down shops, cinemas, restaurants and churches and bans alcohol service until January 31
- In a first, Hong Kong locked down an area of Kowloon peninsula on Saturday to test 10,000 residents for coronavirus before they return to work on Monday, after a recent outbreak of Covid-19
- If you are looking to tame those sugar cravings with a healthy snack between meals that aides in weight loss, check out this recipe of peanut butter and chocolate fix shake that makes for a perfect dose of self care to fuel your tired muscles after workout
- Want to improve your basic fitness or need sport-specific conditioning? Check out this ‘fun combo’ of Sophie Choudry and Yasmin Karachiwala as they perform MOTR workout during pilates session at the gym. Read benefits of this exercise form inside
- From sunshiny suit that leaves one day dreaming to silk maxi dress that looks perfect for hot summer evenings, Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been raising the sartorial bar in her own sizzling style during the promotions of The White Tiger and the fashionista in us is inspired