Study suggests marijuana prevents people from doing hard drugs
A new research has found that cannabis might not be the vilified ‘gateway drug’ it is widely thought to be.
In fact, the leafy substance might be the key to discouraging users from progressing to ‘harder’ drugs, such as cocaine and ecstasy, say scientists.
According to The Independent, the five-year-long study involved 125 participants, all of whom were suffering from chronic pain. 83 were taking cannabis as a prescriptive pain mediator, whereas 42 chose to abstain.
They found that 34 % of the cannabis users stopped taking their medication, in comparison to just 2 % of the non-smokers, with 98 % continuing to take their prescribed drugs. Lead author and psychology professor Jacob Miguel Vigil, noted, “Our current opioid epidemic is the leading preventable form of death in the US, killing more people than car accidents and gun violence.”
Adding, “Therefore, the relative safety and efficacy of using cannabis in comparison to that of other scheduled medications should be taken by the health providers and legislators.” He explained that painkillers and street heroin typically kill 90 people in the US every day; whereas some studies claim that cannabis consumption has never directly caused a fatality.
However, in 2014, a woman named Gemma Moss became the first British woman to die from cannabis toxicity, after she reportedly smoked 60 pounds worth of the drug in one week which led her to die from cardiac arrest.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Labour Movement museum, that is opening up in Alappuzha, Kerala, will the the first of its kind museum in India. It will showcase the history of world labour movement through huge repository of documents and exhibits.
- Looking to give gluten the hook? Check out this delicious vegan recipe that preps up super fluffy and light banana pancakes which are golden and crisp on the outside and will make you forget you ever missed gluten
- Taapsee Pannu has been following a diet for the preparation of her film Rashmi Rocket. However, her diet is not as boring as one would imagine. It even includes laddoos. Yes, you can read that again.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Have a sweet tooth and easily give in to desserts while craving for some more? Check out this Lotus Biscoff mousse recipe to make the easiest dessert with just two ingredients
- Read the most books this year, tweet and win!
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.