Neevevaro movie review: Aadhi, Taapsee film is a watered down thriller
Writer: Kona Venkat
Cast: Aadhi Pinisetty, Taapsee Pannu, Ritika Singh
A blind man, who happens to be a celebrated chef, falls in love with a girl with a beautiful heart. They spend just an hour together every day, but their love for each other grows manifold in the short time. Or does it?
Neevevaro starring Aadhi Pinisetty, Ritika Singh and Taapsee Pannu is suspense thriller is about a blind man, Kalyan, played by Aadhi, whose life changes overnight. He falls in love with Vennila, played by Taapsee Pannu, who brings him a lot of joy, so much so, he even gets ready to propose to her. What he doesn’t know is that Vennila is going through some problem of her own. We see goons stop her on a road and blackmail her in the presence of Kalyan, but she brushes it off as unimportant.
Neevevaro is based on the Tamil suspense drama, Adhe Kangal, but the Telugu version falls prey to the trappings of a commercial film. The plot is interesting and could have been one of the best suspense thrillers to have been made this year. However, the film surrenders to the format of a commercial movie and comes with songs, forced and unnecessary comedy and suspense that is, at best, watered down.
It doesn’t take the audience too long to smell that something is fishy. Even if you have not watched the original, you can gauge the direction this film is taking. Till the interval, the film drags with a lot of time spent on showing Aadhi’s pre-engagement ceremonies. Precious moments of screen time that could have been used to make the film gripping, simply go waste.
After the interval, the pace of the film picks up. However, it is too late and too little. The most promising part of the film is the interaction between Vennila and Kalyan in the climax. Taapsee and Aadhi have done great work here, as has Ritika, which is why the film ends up being underwhelming. With a cast as promising as this, Neevevaro could have been an excellent movie about white collar crime.
The film, as we see it, is a watered down version of a suspense thriller, with Vennela Kishore saving the day with his humour towards the end. By the time Vennela appears on screen, the audience has already figured out how things are going to pan out and how humour is the only reprieve from this thriller without twists.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter Suhana Khan dropped a new picture with a friend and upped her glamour game. She is currently in New York.
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Sonakshi Sinha, who plays a tough cop in her debut web series, shared her first look from the show on the eve of International Women's Day. See it here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Abhinav Shukla said that Bigg Boss 14 runner-up Rahul Vaidya did not deserve to be in the top two as he walked out of the show during the mid-season finale.
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.