Cast: Will Smith, Charlize Theron
Direction: Peter Berg
If it’s Will Smith, it must be a one-man show. And it is but mercifully with a difference. This time around, there’s a clever twist on his usual good-guy persona. In fact, the eponymous ‘hero’ has a terribly blemished track record.
Blessed -- or should that be cursed? -- with superhuman powers, the stubble-chinned crimebuster is in the throes of an existential crisis. Perpetually in a drunken stupor, his misguided attempts to do the right thing cause considerable collateral damage. The civic authorities, as well as the people of Los Angeles, are tired of putting up with the man’s lax attitude to public safety.
The down-on-his luck alcoholic gets a chance to redeem his reputation when a public relations consultant (Jason Bateman, competent) gives him an image makeover. But then what’s to be done with the publicist’s hottie wife (Theron, sensual as ever). An affair? Maybe. There are several twists and turns in the plot which unravels in a series of high-impact action set-pieces.
As in his previous blockbuster The Kingdom, actor-turned-director Berg belts out the thrills at breakneck speed. And in this intent, the special-effects saturated spectacular is fairly successful.
Will Smith who carries the film entirely on his shoulders. Slickly packaged, Hancock is recommended for those seeking 90-minutes of no-think entertainment.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.