7 ISIS-related cases with Maharashtra link
mumbai Updated: Dec 09, 2016 12:11 IST
1) In July-August , the state ATS arrested four suspects, brainwashed by the ISIS, who were planning to carry out strikes in Marathawada. The detection started on July 14, when the ATS arrested Naseen Chaus following a tip-off that he was radicalised and was planning to join the ISIS with the help of person called Farooq. However, during interrogation, the ATS learnt that Chaus wanted to bomb the police headquarters in Parbhani and Nanded during Ramzan.
2) The state ATS with NIA busted an all India module of ISIS in January and arrested 33-year-old Mudabbir Shaikh from Mumbra, who holds a diploma in software course, for contacting an ISIS handler via social networking sites. The two had plans to carry out strikes, said police sources. Cops said Mudabbir was the amir (chief) of ISIS’s Indian wing. While Khalid @ Rizwan Ahmed Ali Khalid, arrested from Uttar Pradesh by the ATS, was the second in command.
3) ATS officers busted the Malwani module in December 2015 and registered a case against Ayaz Sultan of Malwani, currently believed to be in Iraq under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act , 1967. Two more arrests have been made so far. While a few others, radicalised by Sultan, were traced and have been made witnesses.
4) Shah Mudassir and Shoeb Ahmed Khan, two youths from Maharashtra, were allegedly brainwashed by jihadis using internet chat rooms. The duo were arrested on October 2014 in Hyderabad during their attempt to get passports to go to Afghanistan for weapons training.
5) In first week of November 2015, a Maulana from Pusad in Yavatmal district was arrested for allegedly radicalising youths, one of whom stabbed a police constable over ‘beef ban’ in September. Shoeb Khan, who was earlier arrested by Hyderabad police, has been arrested in this case as well.
6) Software techie Anees Ansari was arrested in October 2014 by the ATS for allegedly plotting to blow up a school in BKC. ATS officers said Ansari was inspired by ISIS. He was watching videos and lectures uploaded by the ISIS, as well as scanning sites for making weapons.
7) Four youths from Kalyan, Areeb Majeed, 22, an engineer, Aman Tandel, 27, Fahad Maqbool Sheikh, 24, both engineering students and Shaheen Tanki, 25, a call centre employee, had gone to Iraq to fight alongside the ISIS in May. Of the four, Areeb returned back and the case is with the NIA.
First Published: Dec 09, 2016 12:11 IST