How did Maharashtra CM win over agitating farmers? Here are 5 things he offered them
Mumbai city news: All criminal cases against agitating farmers will be withdrawn where there is no loss to property or theftmumbai Updated: Jun 27, 2017 09:34 IST
Here are five things the Devendra Fadnavis-led BJP government in Maharashtra offered farmers to get them to call of their agitation for farm loan waiver:
1. Complete waiver of loans of 1.34 crore farmers of the state, but with some riders. One of them is that those with earnings from different professions or working in government or the private sector or with a strong financial background will be excluded.
Government agrees for loan waiver for farmers.— CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) June 11, 2017
Conditions and detailing will be finalised by a Joint Committee.
2. All the criminal cases against agitating farmers will be withdrawn where there is no loss to property or theft. This is assumed to be a big victory for the farmers.
3. The chief minister will lead a delegation of farmers to meet the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to press for implementation of the Swaminathan Commission report so as to ensure better prices for crops.
4. The farmers’ share in the profit of milk societies will go up to 70% share; the rest will go to the administration of the societies.
At the same time, the milk societies will have to agree with 70:30 formula of profit sharing on the lines of sugar industry .— CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) June 11, 2017
5. The high-powered group of ministers will discuss and decide on other demands such as a scheme to subsidise farmers’ pending power bills, efforts to set up cold storage chains and warehouses to improve supply chain management for agricultural produce, and subsidies for setting up food-producing units.
First Published: Jun 12, 2017 12:52 IST