Mahrashtra Governor-CM tussle over exams: Colleges, students worried

HT Image
HT Image
Published on Jun 08, 2020 12:33 AM IST
Copy Link
By, Mumbai

A week after the Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray announced that all final-year undergraduate and postgraduate exams have been called off and that students will be promoted based on aggregate scores in earlier semester exams, state Governor and chancellor of all state universities Bhagat Singh Koshiyari questioned the move.

Koshyari said the cancellation of exams would jeopardise the students’ future and that exams should be held in order to promote students.

Stuck in between the “political stand-off”, colleges and universities are looking at a mammoth task ahead. Conducting exams for close to 9 lakh students across the state, including 2.3 lakh students affiliated with the University of Mumbai (MU), can prove problematic, especially since exams will need to be held ensuring appropriate social distancing and taking into account lockdown regulations that could still be in force at the time.

“We are talking about colleges spread across the state, and to ensure social distancing during exams, universities will need to add more education institutes as exam centres to accommodate all. What if students refuse to appear for exams still?” asked a former MU official, who currently holds a senior role at a management institute. He added that even if the universities and affiliated colleges ensure exams are held maintaining social distancing, conducting exams so late in the year will have adverse effects on the next academic year as well.

Teachers too have raised concerns over how the assessment will take place and how much time the process could take. “For MU alone, teachers will end up assessing over 13 lakh answer sheets that need to be scanned and uploaded on the software, after which they reach teachers for assessment. It will be impossible to ensure that all exams and results will be announced within a month,” said a senior professor at a suburban college.

The Maharashtra Federation of University and College Teachers’ Organisation (MFUCTO) has already written to the state government as well as the MU about their concerns of how the delay in conducting exams and the wait for eventual results will affect students’ prospects.“The university is an autonomous body with its own set of statutes to follow in any type of emergency, and the university has the power to decide how they want to conduct examinations. Since the current scenario is grave in nature, he university has the authority to seek help from Maharashtra government to help with their decision. The governor, on the other hand, is a nominal entity and shoudl not dictate the working of a university,” said Tapati Mukhopadhyay president MFUCTO.

She added that a university takes two-three months to prepare for examination and since university as well as colleges have been shut for almost three months now, it’ll be impossible for the university to conduct examinations next month. “We stand by the CM’s decision,” she added.

Engineering institutes too have expressed concern about holding examinations and in the bargain, further delaying the start of the next academic year. “All final-year Bachelor of Engineering (BE) students who were offered jobs earlier this year are now worried because the employers are expecting students to join their workforce. Without a passing certificate or a temporary replacement for the document, this process will be difficult for all. We urge the government to clarify its stand soon,” said Gopakumaran Thampi, principal of Thadomal Shahani Engineering College, Bandra.

Several student organisations have asked that the health and sanity of students be prioritised. “A degree certificate is awarded to students based on their performance throughout three years and not holding one final exam will not change much. This insistence on final exams during a global health crisis needs to be reconsidered by the government, especially keeping the lives of students in mind,” said Salman Ahmed, president of Student Islamic Organisation (SIO), South Maharashtra.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Shreya Bhandary is a Special Correspondent covering higher education for Hindustan Times, Mumbai. Her work revolves around finding loopholes in the current education system and highlighting the good and the bad in higher education institutes in and around Mumbai.

Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • People wade through water near Galleria Market in Sushant Lok in Gurugram on Monday. (Vipin Kumar/ Hindustan Times)

    Rain brings respite to Haryana

    The early morning rains reported in most parts of Haryana on Monday brought respite from scorching heat in both the rural and urban parts of the state. As per reports of the meteorological and agriculture department at Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agriculture University, light to heavy rainfall was witnessed in parts of Ambala, Gurugram, Kurukshetra, Kaithal Karnal, Fatehabad, Mahendergarh, Jhajjar, Yamunanagar, Rohtak, Panchkula, Panipat, Sonepat and Jind districts.

  • Seven former Congress leaders rejoined the party in Chandigarh on Monday. (Image for representational purpose)

    Haryana: Seven former Congress leaders return to party fold

    Seven former Congress leaders rejoined the party in Chandigarh on Monday. Among the rejoiners are Sharda Rathore, Ram Niwas Ghorela, Naresh Selwal, Rakesh Kamboj, Rajkumar Valmiki, Zile Ram Sharma and Subhash Chaudhary, who had quit the party to join the BJP, HJC or contest as an Independent. Besides, former INLD MLA Parminder Singh Dhul, who had contested in 2019 on a BJP ticket, and Kishanlal Panchal of the LSP also joined the Congress.

  •  (Image for representational purpose)

    Sexual offences against a child: Parents can’t strike a compromise, rules HC

    The victim child and her parents can't strike a compromise in the cases of sexual offence against the minor, the Punjab and Haryana high court has ruled.

  • A man was arrested for allegedly raping his six-year-old daughter at a factory, which was shut down for the last many years at Rewari’s Dharuhera area, police said on Monday. (Image for representational purpose)

    Haryana: Father arrested for raping 6-year-old girl

    A man was arrested for allegedly raping his six-year-old daughter at a factory, which was shut down for the last many years at Rewari's Dharuhera area, police said on Monday. A spokesperson of Rewari police said the man has been booked under sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Pocso) and the girl has been admitted to a hospital.

  • Rescue operations going on at the site where two farmers got trapped in a 40-foot-deep tubewell pit in Hisar on Sunday. (HT Photo)

    Hisar: Body of one farmer retrieved from tubewell pit

    A day after two farmers were trapped in a 40ft deep tubewell pit after a portion of land collapsed on them at Hisar's Siarwa village, army and NDRF teams pulled out the body of one of them in the wee hours of Monday. Former Haryana finance minister Sampat Singh, deputy speaker Ranbir Gangwa and district administrative officials attended the funeral of Jagdish's.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, May 24, 2022