Mumbai studio fire: FIR against 2 owners, manager for negligence
Cops said their investigation and the report submitted by the fire brigade revealed the wiring used for powering electrical equipment was substandardmumbai Updated: Feb 11, 2018 23:45 IST
The Parksite police on Saturday registered a first information report (FIR) against three people — two owners and a manager — of Cinevista studio, Kanjurmarg (West). The three were booked for alleged negligence that led to the death of an employee when a fire broke out at the studio last month.
Cops said their investigation and the report submitted by the fire brigade revealed the wiring used for powering electrical equipment was substandard. Also, the equipment lacked regular maintenance and monitoring.
Gopi Verma, 30, a technician working at the studio for the past several years lost his life after a fire broke out at the studio at 8pm on January 6. Eight fire engines and six water tankers were rushed to the spot and the fire was brought under control by 10 pm. While more than 100 crew members were evacuated, Verma’s body was found the next day. Although the studio had fire-fighting equipment, it had defunct.
R Choudhari, deputy chief fire officer, said the fire spread quickly because the fire hydrant was not functional. A notice was issued to studio under the Maharastra Fire Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, 2006, to replace the fire-fighting system and comply with fire safety rules.
“As the studio is old, their fire safety system is outdated. There were no sprinklers or fire detectors. We have asked them to comply with the norms at the earliest. The studio will remain shut until it gets the compliance certificate,” said an investigating officer.
First Published: Feb 11, 2018 23:45 IST