7 of 9 accused in ’06 Malegaon blast released
Freed 11 days after they were given bail, say justice has been delayed. HT reports. Tracking the casemumbai Updated: Nov 17, 2011 01:50 IST
Eleven days after a special court granted bail to the nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case, seven of them stepped out of prison on Wednesday after completing their release formalities.
Their lawyers said had the paper work been quicker, the accused would have been released on Monday.
Two others – Asif Khan and Mohammed Ali – had also been also granted bail in the case but they were not released because they are also accused in the 2006 Mumbai train explosions.
On November 5, the nine got bail on a surety of Rs 50,000 each.After their release from Arthur Road jail, six of the accused gave a press conference. However, none of them got a chance to answer questions.
Jamiat Ulama secretary Gulzar Azmi addressed the media from a makeshift podium with six accused – Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Samsuduha, Raees Ahmed, Mohammed Majid and Abrar Ahmed – behind him. One of them, Frogh Iqbal, was not there because he had to leave to see his ailing father.
Azmi told the media their battle would continue and they would stand by the accused till the end.
The legal cell of the Jamiat Ulama is aiding the cases of about 225 accused Muslims in 39 cases in the country. Azmi also praised the efforts of anti-terrorism squad chief Hemant Karkare, who was killed in the Mumbai attacks of 2008, and lawyer Shahid Azmi, who, he said, was exposing the culprits behind various terror attacks.
He also stated the government had not done them any favour and that they would want it to understand the consequences of “falsely implicating” innocent Muslims.
While jostling out of the press conference venue, Salman Farsi told reporters although he was happy to be out, justice had been delayed.
“Whatever happened to us is injustice,” Farsi said, adding that he had faith in judiciary.
First Published: Nov 16, 2011 17:37 IST