Bail to Dutt hours after non-bailable warrant filed
With less than a month to go before he surrenders to serve his jail term in the 1993 serial blasts case, actor Sanjay Dutt was on Monday caught in legal proceedings yet again, after a non-bailable warrant (NBW) was issued against him at an Andheri court for failing to appear in an alleged threat case.mumbai Updated: Apr 23, 2013 02:14 IST
With less than a month to go before he surrenders to serve his jail term in the 1993 serial blasts case, actor Sanjay Dutt was on Monday caught in legal proceedings yet again, after a non-bailable warrant (NBW) was issued against him at an Andheri court for failing to appear in an alleged threat case.
However, the actor promptly appeared in the Andheri metropolitan magistrate’s court after news of the NBW broke, after which he was granted bail.
The metropolitan magistrate PB Naikwad issued the warrant against Dutt after he failed to appear before the court despite two summons issued to him in the case filed by producer Shakil Noorani, alleging that Dutt had threatened him.
When news of the NBW broke, the actor appeared in court in the evening with his advocate Rizwan Merchant, seeking cancellation of the warrant. “Dutt has been granted bail against a surety of Rs 10,000,” Merchant said.
Noorani alleged that he had signed Dutt for a film, which the actor failed to complete despite taking payment. Noorani alleged that Dutt left the film Jaan Ki Baazi midway in 2002, because of which the producer suffered huge losses.
Noorani sought damages to the tune of Rs 2.03 crore from the actor. When Dutt did not pay him, Noorani moved the Bombay high court, which ordered the seizure of some of the actor’s properties.
While this dispute was pending, Noorani alleged that he received threat calls from the underworld on behest of the actor. “I first approached the Oshiwara police station, but since they took no action, I moved the Andheri court against Dutt,” Noorani said.
Dutt’s lawyer dismissed allegations that the calls had been made at the actor’s behest and claimed Dutt had been falsely implicated.