CST not taking proper safety precautions: Fire department
Fire brigade officials, who are investigating the fire on Monday at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) said safety norms are not being followed at the station. Bhavika Jain and Shashank Rao report.mumbai Updated: Dec 22, 2010 01:43 IST
Fire brigade officials, who are investigating the fire on Monday at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) said safety norms are not being followed at the station.
Officials said the licences of many stalls at CST are not in place, water hydrants in the premises are not working and the fire fighting apparatus needs an overhaul.
“The station sees a heavy influx of people through the day. Therefore, it is very important for railway authorities to maintain utmost level of fire safety,” said a senior fire official, on condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
“We have asked the owners of the stall and other buildings in the premise to furnish their licences and other relevant documents but many are yet to give us the papers,” said the officer.
The railway station, which is a UNESCO world heritage site sees at least 36 lakh commuters daily. “We are going to inspect the station premises and ask the authorities to rectify whatever loopholes they might find,” said chief fire officer, Uday Tatkare.
“I wouldn’t be able to comment on this issue unless I see what their report states,” said V Malegaonkar chief PRO, Indian Railways. Meanwhile the Central Railway (CR) authorities have begun seizing cylinders at the railway station.
On Tuesday, they seized six cylinders from food stalls at Kalyan and one each at Ulhasnagar and Masjid stations. They have also asked food stall owners and railway offices to switch off all electrical equipment at the end of the day.
It has been found that the recent incidents of fire might be due to short-circuit in electrical equipments.