Mumbai blasts death toll mounts to 22
The death toll from the July 13 triple bomb blasts in the Indian city of Mumbai has risen to 22 after two critically injured men died in hospital, medical officials were quoted as saying.mumbai Updated: Jul 23, 2011 14:55 IST
The death toll from the July 13 triple bomb blasts in the Indian city of Mumbai has risen to 22 after two critically injured men died in hospital, medical officials were quoted as saying.
A 35-year-old, who suffered severe head wounds at the Opera House diamond trading hub, died on Friday, while another man, aged 30, who was badly burned at the Zaveri Bazaar gold and jewellery quarter, died on Saturday morning.
The first died at the city's Harkishandas Hospital, while the second died at the J.J. Hospital, the Press Trust of India news agency said, quoting doctors and unnamed hospital sources.
No one was immediately available for comment at either hospital when contacted by AFP.
Five of the 12 people still being treated at the Harkishandas hospital were in a critical condition, PTI said.
Eight of the 22 patients at the J.J. Hospital were critical, it added.
Three home-made bombs packed with the fertiliser ingredient ammonium nitrate and detonated by timer devices exploded during rush-hour in the crowded streets of Opera House, the Zaveri Bazaar gold and jewellery quarter and suburban Dadar.
More than 130 people were wounded in the blasts.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which were the first in the city since the high-profile strike by Islamist militants in November 2008 that killed 166 and wounded more than 300.
However suspicion has fallen on the home-grown Indian Mujahideen, which has previously claimed to have been behind a string of similar blasts across the country in 2008.
First Published: Jul 23, 2011 14:48 IST