Naik had been visiting friend on day off
Twenty-seven-year-old Prabhat Naik who died in the blast that went off at Opera House was married just a year ago and was soon to be a father.mumbai Updated: Jul 16, 2011 01:28 IST
Twenty-seven-year-old Prabhat Naik who died in the blast that went off at Opera House was married just a year ago and was soon to be a father.
Naik, a worker at a jewellery shop in Zaveri Bazaar, had gone to visit a friend in Opera House, as it was his day off when the blast occurred at the diamond market.
The impact of the blast was such that when his body was rushed to JJ hospital his face was disfigured and both his legs were severed. It took a while for his brother and friends who were searching for him to identify him, and there was some scouting to do before they came to know he had been rushed to JJ Hospital.
Naik, a native of Karnataka, has come to Mumbai recently to make a living. His body has been taken back to his village for the last rites, as his parents and relatives live there.
“When the incident happened I tried calling his phone, but when we couldn’t reach him I rushed to Zaveri Bazaar,” a friend of Naik said, adding “The scene at the spot was terrible that for some time my body went numb.”
He also said he found that Naik was taken to JJ hospital only after he scouted and searched for him through the night and finally found him at JJ Hospital, mortuary.
“He was a young man, full of dreams and full of life. It’s sad that he had to die such a horrible death,” said Gurupdhayanak, Prabhat’s brother told HT over the phone.
“We don’t know what to tell his wife. If she knows she will not be able to bear the shock. We are scared for her now,” said Gurupdhayanak.
First Published: Jul 16, 2011 01:27 IST