Public hospitals still ill-prepared
A year after the terror attacks, Mumbai’s public hospitals are still not equipped to handle a disaster of this magnitude.mumbai Updated: Nov 26, 2009 01:37 IST
A year after the terror attacks, Mumbai’s public hospitals are still not equipped to handle a disaster of this magnitude.
While doctors and paramedical staff gained experience during the terror attacks, little has been done to prepare public hospitals.
St George Hospital's medical superintendent Dr Chandrakant Gaikwad said they had a disaster management plan in place even before 26/11. Dr AV Kulkarni from GT Hospital said nothing special had been done after the attack.
A 20-bed vacant ward at JJ Hospital has been set aside as a 'disaster ward' for emergencies. The hospital also has a 13-bed Intensive Critical Care Unit (ICCU) and two well-equipped ambulances.
But the ICCU is not enough for the 1,350-bed hospital. Patients have to be moved to other hospitals as the regular ICCU, a paediatric ICU and a neo-natal ICU are also almost always full.
First Published: Nov 26, 2009 01:35 IST