Goldspot band to perform in Mumbai
LA based singer-songwriter Siddhartha Khosla doesn’t mind telling you that he learnt to sing by mimicking Mohammed Rafi. “When my parents moved to the US in the late seventies, they brought along mixtapes of Kishore Kumar, Rafi and Lata Mageshkar. And that’s the only music I listened to for the first fifteen years of my life. It was only in my late teens that I started listening to The Beatles, REM and other bands,” says Khosla, who founded and fronts the alternative rock band, Goldspot.
Even though the band performs mostly in English, they take you by surprise with their unusual covers of old Hindi tunes. Take for example, their 2011 single, Ina Mina Dika, which not only innovatively recreates the 1968 tune immortalised by Kishore Kumar, but also grips you with its quirky video. Featuring Khosla and dancer Payal Kadakia, the video shows the duo dressed in desi costumes, dancing around some stereotypically American outdoor locations like a bowling alley, gymnasium, supermarket aisle and a graffiti wall among others.
“Our director, Nick Collett came up with this idea of juxtaposing typically Western outdoor locations with our performance,” he says. The song was initially a part of Naseeruddin Shah-starrer Today’s Special, before the band released it as a single last year.
He also believes that the Indian element in their music adds to their uniqueness. “The Western audience is not aware of the influence of the covers we perform. For them, it is niche, original and exotic. So, that makes our music so successful. But since the Indian audience knows where it is coming from, they like it as they can relate to it,” he explains.
As Khosla takes to the stage tonight at Blue Frog, he will be backed by Jacob Owen (guitar and keyboard), James Gabbie II (lead guitar), Adam Chilenski (bass) and Darren Beckett (drums). “This is our third gig in Mumbai and we are really looking forward to performing here because we’ve performed most gigs here in India. Also, the venue is great,” he says.
About his current recording project, he says: “We are working on our new album, which should be out by the end of the year.” Any cover of retro tunes we can look forward to?
“We don’t really plan. So there might be surprises in store,” he smiles.
Catch Goldspot tonight at Blue Frog, 10 pm onwards. Entry: Rs 300
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Renowned Punjabi singer Sardool Sikander died on Wednesday. Several Punjabi and Bollywood celebrities remembered him on social media.
- BTS served a treat for their fans as they appeared on the recent episode of MTV Unplugged. RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V and Jungkook performed two tracks from their album BE, Telepathy and Blue & Grey, while covering Coldplay's Fix You.
- A new Bangtan Bomb was released today which saw RM vibing to Justin Bieber's Where Are U Now, Jin reciting Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars and Suga revealing which member he wants to give his photo card to.
- Bigg Boss 13's Shehnaaz Gill and popular rap singer Badshah are working together on a new song. Both took to their respective social media handles to share the news.