Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Handshakes, hugs and tears: How Dasna Jail inmates gave a send-off to Talwars

Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were kept at Dasna district jail in Ghaziabad after a trial court convicted them in the murder case of their daughter, Aarushi, and domestic help, Hemraj.

noida Updated: Oct 17, 2017 13:37 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Talwars,Rajesh Talwar,Nupur Talwar
Rajesh and Nupur Talwar come out of Dasna Jail, four years after they were sentenced to life imprisonment in the Aarushi-Hemraj murders case. The couple was acquitted by Allahabad HC on Thursday.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were given a warm send-off on Monday by the staff and emotional inmates as they walked out of Ghaziabad’s Dasna jail after spending four years in connection with the murder of their teenage daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj, officials said.

The dentist couple were kept at Dasna district jail after a trial court convicted them in the murder of their only daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj in 2013. The Allahabad high court overturned the trial court’s verdict on October 12 and acquitted them, giving the “benefit of doubt” to the accused in the face of insufficient evidence.

“They donated books, clothes and even a pair of sports shoes of Rajesh to jail inmates. They opted for voluntary service and did not take Rs 40 given to inmates for daily work. It is estimated that during their stay in jail, they would have earned nearly Rs 49,000 each till their release,” jail superintendent DR Maurya said.

“They only took some of their clothes and medicines along as they were released around 5pm. The inmates in the women’s barrack and our staff members were in tears as the husband-wife walked out shaking hands with several staff members,” Maurya said.

Anand Pandey, a pharmacist at the jail hospital, said Rajesh reached the dental clinic in the jail hospital on Monday morning and attended as many patients as he could on his last day.

“Even some staff members get their dental check-up done by Dr Rajesh. He attended to over 25 patients. Nupur, on the other hand, was talking with other women inmates inside the women’s barrack,” Pandey said.

“Woman inmates had a lot of questions for Nupur about their cases and how they can pursue their case. She had also been teaching children and also looked after the stitching and tailoring work,” he added.

Jail officials said Rajesh thanked the staff and shook hands with inmates such as Dr Iqbal, Daksh, and Pandatji.

“He thanked me, shook hands and hugged me as he was going to leave. I had been to the dental clinic for checkups and had interactions with him. He assured me that he will keep coming to the dental clinic if jail authorities permit,” Prashant Sharma, an inmate who is serving life imprisonment and helps with office work, said.

Daksh, who is in jail in a case related to rape and helped Rajesh at the dental clinic work, was in tears.

“Rajesh shook hands with me and he had tears in his eyes. Due to his efforts, a number of inmates had started coming to the dental clinic. They have left now but we will always consider them as our family members,” said Dr Iqbal, who has been sentenced to life and works in the jail’s hospital campus.

The Talwars’ 14-year-old daughter was found murdered in her bedroom in their flat in Noida’s posh Jal Vayu Vihar – her throat slit with surgical precision – on May 16, 2008. The police initially suspected the missing house help from Nepal, Hemraj, but his decomposed body was found a day later from inside a locked room on the terrace of the building.

It was one of India’s most sensational murder trials that sparked numerous conspiracy theories with many accusing the police of bungling the probe.

First Published: Oct 16, 2017 23:47 IST