Ghaziabad PNB loot: Customers lodge FIR against officials
The burglary came to light on June 12 after the Kapda Mill branch of PNB opened after the weekend. It was found that 30 of 435 lockers in the bank were broken into and valuables, stolen.Updated: Jun 29, 2017 22:32 IST
An aggrieved bank customer who suffered a loss in the heist of Punjab National Bank’s Modi Nagar branch earlier this month has lodged an FIR against bank officials. The customer said that laxity on the part of the branch officials led to the incident.
AK Maurya, superintendent of police (rural), confirmed that an FIR was lodged under Section 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent) of IPC against bank officials at Modi Nagar police station.
“An FIR is lodged against bank officials and we are probing their alleged role. The investigation is going on in the case. Apart from this, several of our teams are working round-the-clock to trace the gang involved in the burglary. The culprits will be nabbed soon,” he said.
The burglary came to light on June 12 after the Kapda Mill branch of PNB opened after the weekend. It was found that 30 of 435 lockers in the bank were broken into and valuables, stolen.
The burglars had bored a hole through the wall located on the rear side of the lockers and entered and exited the premises using the opening. The burglars had also managed to dodge the sensors and security systems.
“We estimate that it (the heist) caused a loss of nearly Rs15 crores. I also lost valuables that I stored in the bank locker. The entire incident took place because of laxity of the branch officials and they should be held accountable. We also heard in the news that loss of valuables from bank lockers is not the responsibility of the bank. I don’t know how far is this correct, but our lockers were under the security of the branch and officials should be held responsible,” said Ramesh Chand Sharma, the complainant.
Branch manager Ashok Srivastava and circle head Rajinder Sharma could not be contacted despite repeated attempts to contact them on their mobile phones. After the incident, the officials had taken a list of valuables lost from customers and had said that the list would be sent to the bank’s head office where senior officials will take a decision with regard to compensating for the loss.
The police have also failed to trace the gang behind the burglary and had also sought public support in identifying the culprits. The police had also released a CCTV grab of one of the burglars captured by a camera installed in the bank strongroom.
First Published: Jun 29, 2017 22:32 IST