Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 21, 2019-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Noida: On the run, man accused of cremating wife alive pleads innocence

The husband of the Noida-based woman who was allegedly cremated alive in Aligarh on February 27 says he has been framed by powerful people

noida Updated: Mar 03, 2017 23:26 IST
Vaibhav Jha
Vaibhav Jha
Hindustan Times
Noida,Sharda Hospital,Aligarh
harda Hospital doctors had reiterated on March 2 that the woman had died at the hospital itself.(Sunil Ghosh/HT File Photo)

The husband of the Noida-based woman who was allegedly cremated alive in Aligarh on February 27 claimed innocence saying that he has been framed by powerful people.

The 24-year-old newlywed woman, who belonged to Bulandshahr, was declared dead on the night of February 26 by doctors of Sharda Hospital, citing multiple organ failure. Her husband, from Aligarh, had eloped with her last year and the duo had been staying in Noida. He is currently on the run from the police.

“I loved my wife a lot. We had married recently and this tragedy proved catastrophic for our lives. Not only is my wife gone, I am now being framed for her abduction and rape, which is baseless,” he said in a telephonic conversation with HT.

On February 27, acting on a complaint, Aligarh police had seized the woman’s almost-charred body from the pyre and sent it for a post-mortem exam. The report said that she had died due to ‘shock by burning’ and not due to multiple organ failure as stated by Sharda Hospital’s doctors. However, in a press conference on Thursday, the hospital’s doctors reiterated that the woman had died at the hospital, almost eight hours before her body was cremated.

Notwithstanding that, the husband has been on the run since the police’s post-mortem report came out. A First Information Report (FIR) for rape and abduction has been lodged against him and 10 other men from his village in Aligarh.

In his defence, the man said he did his best to save his wife, but she died due to unfortunate circumstances.

“On the night of February 22, my wife complained of high fever and vomiting. I took her to Sharda Hospital the next morning for treatment. I was there by her side for three days, but there was nothing I could do to save her,” he said.

He also reiterated that his wife had died in the Greater Noida-based Sharda Hospital.

“She was in the car with me for four hours (on the way to the cremation) and we never felt that she showed any movement or sign of life. She had died in the hospital,” he said.

On being asked as to why he didn’t wait for his wife’s family to arrive and cremated the body within eight hours of death, he said, “I am an orphan and I have never had any familial support since the beginning. From the day we eloped, we had decided that we are not going to seek support from any family member. Still, I informed her brother of her death since they have a right to know.”

The man believes he has been framed by the powerful family of his wife since they were against their marriage.

“Even when I eloped with her in December last year, I received threats from some unknown people. I had always been their target and the day they came to know about my wife, they must have concluded that I am the culprit,” he said.

“I have not done anything wrong and still I am on the run because I am scared of the police. I will surrender the day I am assured that justice will be delivered,” he said.

First Published: Mar 03, 2017 23:26 IST