Joshna Chinappa’s good run in El Gouna International squash ends with loss in quarter-finals
Joshna Chinappa’s campaign at the El Gouna International PSA world series squash event ended with a loss to fourth seed Laura Massaro in the quarter-finals.
The 16th seeded Indian, after beating eight-time world champion Nicol David, went down against Massaro in straight games.
The top English player won 11-4 11-8, 11-2 in a quarterfinal lasting 23 minutes.
The other Indian in the women’s draw, Dipika Pallikal, had lost to Camille Serme in the opening round.
Both Pallikal and Chinappa had secured a doubles silver at the recently concluded Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- PV Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth are among players who will feature in the three-leg Asia Series.
- Kenin lost to ninth-seeded Maria Sakkari 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. Svitolina lost to unseeded Russian Veronika Kudermetova 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (3).
- The Irishman was fighting for only the third time in the last five years. Since his rise to superstardom, McGregor’s activity inside the Octagon had started to decline. He fought 8 times in the 2014-2016 period. But in the next 4 years, McGregor had only 3 MMA fights.
- It was the first time that McGregor lost a match by a technical knockout.
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav, returning to action after four years of doping suspension, had a very good start as he defeated young Gaurav Baliyan, the defending champion, without breaking much sweat (10-0), but lost a close bout to Dhankar (4-3) in the next round.