No smoking in buildings from Oct 2
Smokers would not be allowed to light up inside public or private buildings from October 2 and if the urge for a quick puff proves too strong, must do so in open spaces.
Joining the growing list of countries enforcing total bans on smoking in enclosed spaces, the government on Friday made the announcement on the occasion of World Population Day.
“From October 2 this year, nobody in India can smoke in buildings, both public and private. Anybody who wants to smoke can do so on the road,” Union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss said addressing a function in Patna.
The nationwide ban, which is a wider version of the one that came into effect last year in workplaces, restaurants and hotels, includes theatres, pubs, bars, malls and any other enclosed spaces.
“Smokers can have a puff at the risk of their health in private, in their bedrooms, provided they have the permission of their wives,” Ramadoss said.
India is among 67 countries in the world to have imposed total or partial bans on smoking in public.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- 35-year-old Babu was the first to receive the jab among 4.64 lakh healthcare workers in Bihar on Saturday.
- Kumar on Friday while speaking to reporters lost his cool at those who questioned him regarding the state of law and order in Bihar citing the death of IndiGo Patna station manager Rupesh Singh.
- Congress workers raised slogan against the Central government over its reluctance to repeal the farm laws, which protesting farmers fear would make them vulnerable to exploitation by big corporates.
- Amit Kumar, an ambulance driver at the IGIMS, would be the second to be vaccinated.
- Kumar attacked the Opposition led by RJD and suggested that they should look at the crime record when they were in power in Bihar.
- The survivor was gang raped and her eyes were damaged by the accused so that she is not able to identify the culprits
- Nagi-Nakti bird sanctuary has been selected for this event because of its uniqueness. Apart from the dense deciduous forests, moram land and variety of birds and animals, there’s unique rock formation in the area.
- The police searched the truck and were shocked to see that over 500 cartons of branded liquor were being smuggled under the name of mustard oil brands.
- The arrangement has to be done for monitoring purpose at government session sites which are vaccination centres.