13 out of 20 pvt school buses found violating safety norms in Kapurthala
Despite repeated warnings, the local administration under Safe School Vahan scheme has found instances of violation of basic safety norms. The administration made the discovery while inspecting school buses in the district during last ten days.Updated: Feb 27, 2017 15:19 IST
Despite repeated warnings, the local administration under Safe School Vahan scheme has found instances of violation of basic safety norms. The administration made the discovery while inspecting school buses in the district during last ten days.
A team led by the district child protection officer (DCPO) and comprising traffic, education and transport officials inspected around 20 school buses across the district.
Out of these 13 buses were found ignoring the mandatory guidelines.
During the drive, the district transport department issued challans to seven private schools, in which first-aid kits, attenders, speed governors, grills on windows and many other things were found missing.
The GDR Convent School, Saffron Public School, Cambridge International School of Phagwara and some other local private schools have been found violating the basis guidelines of the safety.
District child protection officer (DCPO) Harpreet Kaur Sandhu said, “Many eminent private schools have failed to follow the high court directions.”
“They schools have been repeatedly asked to follow the guidelines as they were found violating the norms during the inspection held last year.”she said.
The district level committees will continue drives to ensure compliance of Safe school Vahan scheme especially to ensure presence of woman attendants in the school buses.
The committee will submit its report before April 7 to the state child protection commission.
Sources in the transport department informed, “In an earlier drive held last year, out of 250 private schools with transport facility in the district, only 10 schools were found complying with all the norms under the scheme.
Later, the principals of different schools had also been asked to submit a signed declaration before the DCPO regarding taking the responsibility for school transportation and declaring that the deficiencies found during the inspection will be completed on priority.
However, showing lukewarm response only 25 school managements had submitted the document before administration. Despite it, no concrete step had been taken by the administration against the private schools to ensure a safe journey for students till date. “Even after one year, private schools are not following the with mandatory safety guidelines,” a senior transport officer said pleading anonymity.
The district child protection officer said, “We will continue our drive till April and this time, strict action will be initiated against the erring schools.”
First Published: Feb 27, 2017 15:15 IST