158 new diarrhoea cases reported as water supply continues
Even after more than 250 people have fallen prey to diarrhoea, with three succumbing, the municipal corporation has failed to carry out the health department's instructions to disconnect water supply to the affected areas, with 158 new cases being reported on Saturday. Jatinder Kohli reportspunjab Updated: Sep 07, 2013 19:58 IST
Even after more than 250 people have fallen prey to diarrhoea, with three succumbing, the municipal corporation has failed to carry out the health department's instructions to disconnect water supply to the affected areas, with 158 new cases being reported on Saturday.
On Friday, the corporation had claimed that water supply had been disconnected into these areas.
However, on Saturday morning, new patients told civil surgeon RL Bassan and epidemiologist Satish Sood at the medical camp at Garha health dispensary that they still were getting water supply at their houses in Guru Diwan Nagar, and had fallen ill after drinking that water.
Bassan immediately called MC commissioner Vinay Bublani and requested him to disconnect water supply to the affected areas, besides sending more tankers or fire brigade tenders to supply clean drinking water.
Meanwhile, a team comprising Punjab Health Systems Corporation managing director Hussan Lal, state surveillance officer of the Integrated Disease Surveillance Project Deepak Bhatia and district health officials took stock of the affected areas, including Guru Diwan Nagar, Tara Chand Colony and others, on Saturday afternoon.
After the visit, Hussan Lal said, “The outbreak was the result of contamination of water and insanitary conditions. The health department is conducting a medical camp here round-the-clock.”
However, asked about the apparent failure of the MC to comply with the health department's instructions to disconnect the water supply, Lal asked MC joint commissioner Anupam Kaler to answer, who said that that water supply had been disconnected on Saturday morning.
Assuring that action would be taken against those who had taken illegal water connections which led to contamination of water, Kaler added that she had contacted owners of plots where most of the offenders were residing and had asked them for details.
Echoing Kaler, MC executive engineer Nacchtar Singh said, “Nearly 25 illegal water connections have been disconnected in these areas and this exercise will continue for another two days.”
On Friday, the workers failed to find the pipes in two streets, due to which water was supplied into the area on Saturday morning, he added.
“We are also asking people to get clean drinking water from the tankers we are providing,” he claimed.
First Published: Sep 07, 2013 19:47 IST