2 minor sisters die of asphyxiation in Amritsar
Two minor sisters died of asphyxiation after using a smoke-filled common toilet at an iron-moulding unit in Maqboolpura here on Monday.punjab Updated: Jan 04, 2016 23:18 IST
Two minor sisters died of asphyxiation after using a smoke-filled common toilet at an iron-moulding unit in Maqboolpura here on Monday.
The girls, aged six and five, daughters of factory worker Mukherji, who lived in the factory quarters, had gone to answer nature’s call. However, another child accompanying them escaped unhurt.
The Amritsar City police are investigating the matter, though no case was registered. The incident occurred around 6.30 pm. According to police, when the family realised that the two had not returned for long from the toilet adjoining the furnace room, they found them lying unconscious there.
Inspector Kuldeep Singh of Maqboolpura police station said the workers had ignited a fire at full blast in the furnace using wood. The smoke from the furnace filled the toilet, he said, adding that the girls were apparently asphyxiated due to the carbon monoxide. It was after some time that they were brought out, he added.
He said they were rushed to hospital but could not be saved, adding that the family did not want to lodge a complaint against the factory owners.
First Published: Jan 04, 2016 23:17 IST