Birthday bash turns into nightmare as four men electrocuted in Ludhiana
Man celebrating daughter’s birthday, his brother, 2 others came in contact with high-tension cables.punjab Updated: Feb 18, 2018 10:41 IST
A man celebrating his young daughter’s birthday, his brother and two other men were electrocuted to death reportedly after consuming alcohol and coming in contact with high-tension power supply lines at Ishwar Colony in Focal Point area of Ludhiana on Friday evening.
The deceased, Amarjit , 31, his brother Sarbjit , 27, their neighbours Ranjit , 30, and Makhanshu, 28, all residents of Ishwar Colony, were killed at a party to celebrate the birthday of Amarjit’s daughter Sapna, where their families too were present.
Police quoting eyewitnesses said the four men were on the ground floor drinking when they had a verbal spat and one of them was heard saying he was going to touch a power supply line close by and the others dissuading him. Soon after hearing a blast the guests found the charred bodies of Amarjit and Ranjit on the floor. Sarbjit and Makhanshu, who had sustained severe burns, died while being rushed to the hospital.
ASI Surjit Singh, police post in-charge, Sherpur, said it appeared as if one of the four men had touched a power supply cable near a window in the room and the others had been electrocuted trying to save him.
Amarjit was contractor and the three others were labourers at a factory in Kohara.
‘We thought our house had been hit by lightning’
A father and uncle who wanted to celebrate a young girl’s birthday lost their lives tragically in a moment of foolishness.
Shahntu Devi, who lost her sons Amarjit and Sarbjit in a tragic mishap after they and two others were electrocuted said on Friday that the four had gone to the first floor after the cake cutting ceremony.
The blast that occurred soon after was so loud that for a moment everyone present thought the house had been hit by lightning.
We were dazed and almost blinded by a flash. All electronic appliances were damaged. When we rushed to the first floor we were shocked to see my both sons and their friends lying on the floor,” she sobbed.
“Amarjit and Sarbjit were the breadwinners of the family, what will happen to their children,” she asked.
Amarjit’s wife is in a state of shock and unable to sleep.
First Published: Feb 18, 2018 10:40 IST