Opposition seeks dismantling of SYL canal, return of land to farmers
Pandemonium ensued in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha, shortly after chief minister Parkash Singh Badal put forth a resolution for discussion on the SYL canal issue.Updated: Mar 10, 2016 14:31 IST
Pandemonium ensued in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha, shortly after chief minister Parkash Singh Badal put forth a resolution for discussion on the SYL canal issue. Congress is seeking dismantling of the SYL canal and return of the acquired land back to the farmers.
The Opposition was seeking amendments to Badal’s resolution which the speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal denied. Subsequently, opposition leaders started shouting slogans against the government. The House was then adjourned for half an hour.
The highlights of Badal’s resolution are:
1. Punjab not to accept any unjust decision on SYL and River waters, says resolution moved by Badal
2. Punjab has not a single drop of water to spare
3. Violation of Riparian principle is unconstitutional and therefore unacceptable, says Badal
4. Punjab has always been discriminated against by Center
5. River waters issue extremely critical for Punjab’s present and future : Badal in a resolution
6. Situation today extremely grave and dangerous : Badal
7. Punjab has complete legal Riparian right over its river waters
8. Punjab not to tolerate nor allow any unjust decision on SYL and river waters to be forcibly imposed on Punjab
The Opposition wants the government to condemn the Centre for supporting the SYL canal. Additionally, it wants the government to break away from the NDA and break alliance with the BJP in Punjab.
First Published: Mar 10, 2016 12:58 IST