While you are away from home, ‘vacation gang’ is on the prowl in Chandigarh
Over the past 10 days, there has been a burglary every two days against the average of 1 every three days since January 1 this yearUpdated: Jun 03, 2017 11:08 IST
A gang of thieves is on the prowl, targeting locked houses, so if you are planning a vacation, please ensure that your newspaper vendor does not throw newspaper (stacks lying outside are a telltale invite to thieves). In all cases, refrain from declaring your vacation plans on social media.
The ‘vacation gang’ is already at work. Of 45 burglaries reported since January 1 in the city, seven have been reported over the past two weeks.
Now, the UT police have asked SHOs to spread the word and guide residents on safeguards before locking their houses and going on vacation.
The current system — of beat constables going from block to block has floundered.
- Do not update your status on social media during vacations
- •Ask your newspaper vendor not to throw newspaper
- •Inform the nearest police station
- •Ask your neighbours to be vigilant; take their phone numbers
- • Have someone stay at home during vacation
- • Keep jewellery in bank locker
- • Install CCTVs and intruder alarms.
THIEVES TAKE AWAY EVERYTHING, GOVT HOUSES EASY PICKINGS
From stabilizers to taps to bathroom showers to mixer to cash and jewellery, today’s thieves take away everything. Previously, burglars used to strike at night, but now even the day is a fair game. Government accommodation is easy pickings, as they usually lack security features/CCTVs etc. In most cases, bolts and latches are removed to gain entry.
“We have asked SHOs to hold a meeting with RWAs to create awareness on safeguards against house break-ins while the families are away on vacation,” said Eish Singhal, senior superintendent of police, Chandigarh.
He added, “The residents are being asked to inform the nearest police station with the scheduled plan and contact details, so that vigil can be maintained. Residents must also direct their newspaper vendor to not throw it when they are away.”
- With the ‘vacation gang’ finding locked houses a great opportunity to strike, as evident by seven thefts over the past two weeks, it is important for you, the citizen, to be a little cagey about your vacation plans to ensure your life’s savings are safe. The police, of course, have to step up vigil in your absence, if you inform them. So, be a little cautious and have a perfect vacation.
SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS REMAIN A GIVEAWAY
Even if a thief on a recce misses the locked house, residents themselves can sometimes play into the hands of such gangs by posting status messages and photos on social networking sites.
Enthusiasm gets the better of common sense as residents end up disclosing their exact travel plans. All of this is just giving the thief time to plan at leisure to burgle your house.
First Published: Jun 03, 2017 11:02 IST