Jharkhand: Couple killed in front of minor son over land dispute
A 42-year-old man and his 35-year-old wife were killed in West Singhbhum by their cousins on Saturday night, police said on Monday.
Police recovered the bodies from bushes 100 metres away from the deceased couple’s house in the village on Sunday and arrested five persons, including the woman’s cousins.
“Five persons are accused of murdering the couple in their house late Saturday over a land dispute. All the accused are relatives of the deceased couple and hatched a conspiracy to kill them after they got to know that the man was planning to sell a piece of land that belonged to his father-in-law. They admitted to their crime during the interrogation and said that they had warned him against selling the land,” Dr Heeralal Ravi, Kiruburu sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) said Monday morning.
“The eyewitness to the incident, the couple’s 12-year-old son, named the five accused and told us about the land dispute which the accused corroborated later during cross interrogation,” said Dr Ravi.
The bo said the accused came to their house midnight Saturday armed with iron rods, sticks, axes and spears and killed his father and mother. “They all were inebriated and kept beating my parents. I somehow managed to escape and saved my life,” he said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As per the evidence found in Hazaribagh, it appeared that the Buddhist structures were built during the Pala period, said an archaeologist with the ASI.
- Classes for students studying in class 8 and above are also set to resume in schools.
- The robbery occurred between 3.30 am and 4 am while the bus was on the way to Biharsharif, Bihar from Kolkata. Dacoits, reportedly half a dozen in numbers, had boarded the bus at Kolkata posing as passengers
- Ten people, who are stranded, want to return to Jharkhand.
- While nine labourers belonged to Jharkhand's Bethat village, six hailed from Ramgarh district.
- The CRPF commandant told police that the domestic maid appeared to be mentally unstable for the past few days and had turned aggressive all of a sudden.
- Hemant Soren decided to induct Haji Ansari’s son, who is not yet a member of the Jharkhand legislative assembly, as the 10th member of his cabinet.
- By-election for Madhupur assembly seat is likely to be held next month and Hafizul was considered a front runner for the seat.
- He works as a coal loader in an opencast mine in Jharia; as a daily wager, he is dependent on the work he gets every day.
- The former Bihar chief minister has been serving jail term since December 23, 2017, after his conviction in three fodder scam cases.