Arjun Reddy: Ram Gopal Varma sees Amitabh Bachchan, Al Pacino in Vijay Deverakonda
Arjun Reddy, the new Telugu film starring Vijay Deverakonda and Shalini Pandey that released on Ganesh Chaturthi, has taken the twin Telugu speaking states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh by storm. Not just that, this tiny film has blown away competition from the other heavyweight, Ajith’s Vivegam, that released around the same time in the southern states.
Arjun Reddy tells the story of a brilliant medical student who is also an alcoholic and how his life goes berserk after he loses his lady love.
Variously hailed as being the most original film to being called raw, pure, bold, intense and well written, the film has been winning all-round praise. The actor and director combine of Vijay Deverakonda and Sandeep Vanga Reddy have been praised for taking Telugu cinema to places it has never been.
Fans and celebs have been heaping praise on the film, Vijay’s performance and the director’s vision. Among the most prominent is, of course, maverick filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma.
Writing on his Facebook page, Varma wrote how Vijay did not need ‘slow motion and ramping shots’ to make his character look heroic. “Vijay Deverakonda is the first and only actor I ever saw who looks like a hero without the help of any slow motion or ramping shots.”
He added how Vijay reminded him of a young Amitabh Bachchan and a young Al Pacino and how he would set into motion the idea of a new age hero. He said, “I think Vijay Devarakonda is a combination of a young Amitabh Bachchan and a young Al Pacino and I strongly believe that he will be the trendsetter prototype for a new age hero.”
Impressed by the intensity Vijay could channel into his portrayal, he said: “Vijay is the first actor I saw apart from Amitabh Bachchan who could live up to that same level of intensity without the aide of any cinematic techniques.”
Varma reserved much of his praise for director Sandeep Vanga Reddy too. He observed how if films are an extension of the director’s personality, they are likely to stay with the audience much longer. He wrote, “... only those films which look like an extension of the directors personality are the ones which will really leave a mark on the audience’s minds and after a long time I am seeing that happening with Sandeep and his film Arjun Reddy.”
Read the full text here:
Celebs have been tweeting incessantly.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In an interview with Hindustan Times, Sharib Hashmi talks about The Family Man season 2, the experience of working with Kangana Ranaut on Dhaakad and more.
- Rubina Dilaik cheered for Tony Kakkar and Aly Goni as the music video of Tera Suit released but did not tag Jasmin Bhasin. Rubina and Jasmin's relationship soured on Bigg Boss 14.
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Even though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle admitted to having watched Netflix's The Crown, the show's creator, Peter Morgan, had previously said that he has no intention of telling their story on the series.
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.