I am ready to work with Raj in the future: Mimi Chakraborty
A month ago, a lot of newsprint was consumed to talk about Raj Chakraborty and Mimi Chakraborty’s breakup. However, when we meet the actress at a city hotel, she looks radiant and genuinely happy. Mimi claims to have moved on. So, how does she deal with any breakup? Mimi is quick to reply that it’s ‘work’ that helps her overcome all forms of emotional breakdown. “Coming from a small town like Jalpaiguri, whatever I have achieved today is because of my work. Work is my only support,” she says.
Mimi admits that the breakup and the frenzy around it got dirtier. “Suddenly so many people were bothered about me. There were so many middlemen in this story. I came to know that I was dating someone and my stable relationship had broken. I didn’t tell anybody who I was dating. So, how did people come to know about it? I was into a relationship but I never talked about it in the past. So, if I am dating somebody, will I even talk about it? Never ,” says Mimi, who worked with Raj in films such as Bojhena Se Bojhena, Proloy, Yoddha: The Warrior and Katmundu. So, is she open to working with Raj again? “ He is one of the most successful directors in Tollywood and if he wants, I am ready to work with him,” she says.
Mimi was in Turkey shooting for her upcoming film, Gangster, with Yash Dasgupta when rumours of the actress dating Melih (a crew member from Turkey) spread. The actress reveals that though she was going through a tough time battling the emotional turmoil, she made sure she gave 100 per cent to the film. “Ruhi is a difficult character. So, I made myself understand that I need to forget everything and concentrate on the film,” she says. The Khaad actress confesses that so far it’s been a good year for her. She had two releases — Ki Kore Toke Bolbo and Kelor Kirti — and is gearing up for her third, which is releasing this Durga Puja. Her friend actress Nusrat Jahan on the other already has had four releases this year. But before you ask Mimi anything, she says, “No, it doesn’t perturb me. We never discuss work when we are together.”
Mimi also says that she doesn’t believe in the number game. She is here to do good work and is happy so long she is bagging plum projects. She accepts that potboilers follow a certain formula, and mainly ride on the shoulders of the film’s hero but says that her upcoming film, directed by Birsa Dasgupta, is different from the other mainstream films she has done. “I have always dreamt of playing someone like Ruhi. I haven’t played a character with so many shades,” she smiles.
This is the third time Mimi has teamed up with Birsa. The last two films — Golpo Holeo Sottyi and Shudhu Tomari Jonyo — were appreciated by the audiences and this time too she is drawing compliments for her look in the film. “I too believe that I am looking my best in the film. We didn’t overdo the makeup,” she smiles.
Watch the song Chailey from Gangster here
The actress is also all praise for her co-star Yash, who is making his film debut. Much like Mimi, who started her career on television with the show Gaaner Opare, Yash too graduated to films from television. Did she give him any advice? “Yash is so technically sound that it never seemed he was making his debut,” she says.
Since her television days, Mimi, who looked beautiful in a Tejas Gandhi attire, has been known for her acting skills. Her performance in films like Bojhena Se Bojhena and Proloy, established her as a powerful actress. However, she soon started doing mainstream films such as Jamai 420, and Ki Kore Toke Bolbo. The actress informs that she has no qualms in doing both parallel and hardcore commercial films. However, she mentions that earlier she had a few inhibitions and hence had to let go Srijit Mukherji’s National Award-winning film Chatushkone. “I refused Chatuskone, as I was required to wear revealing outfits and enact a few intimate scenes, which I was not comfortable with. I was also answerable to my parents to some extent. They never wanted me to become an actress. But later I felt that we live in a competitive world and at the end of the day I am an actor. I should be able to become the character given to me. In Birsada’s film, I have donned a swimsuit and my parents didn’t object to it,” says Mimi, who is good friends with actresses Srabanti, Tonushree, Sayantika and Nusrat.
Today, Mimi has shed a lot of her inhibitions and is willing to take up any interesting role, both in mainstream and middle-of-the-road cinema. “When I entered the industry, I was told that I was fit for only television and not films. I am ready to work hard,” she signs off.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan were visited on Wednesday evening by Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora, Manish Malhotra and Natasha Poonawalla.
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra arrived at Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's residence and posed together for the paparazzi. Malaika Arora and sister Amrita also visited the couple.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a funny experience from her recent doctor's visit and joked about being a 'long-standing member of Giri Hui Aurat Club'.
- Hema Malini, who will be seen as a guest in an upcoming episode of Indian Idol 12, opened up about how her father tried to keep her away from Dharmendra.
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Tamannaah Bhatia is currently in Jaipur, enjoying the pre-wedding functions of her best friend Hanna Khan. See pictures from sangeet and mehendi ceremonies.
- Bhumi Pednekar's sea-facing apartment in Mumbai features a potpourri of elements, including a beautiful garden, a grand chandelier and a small filmy spot.
- Kishwer Merchant said that her pregnancy was not planned. She is currently expecting her first child with her husband Suyyash Rai.