Blatter warns ‘injured’ Bale of ban threat
Gareth Bale risks being banned for playing for Tottenham while the Olympics are in progress — but only if England's Football Association submits a formal complaint, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Wednesday.sports Updated: Jul 26, 2012 00:11 IST
Gareth Bale risks being banned for playing for Tottenham while the Olympics are in progress — but only if England's Football Association submits a formal complaint, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Wednesday.
Wales winger Bale was included in the Great Britain squad for the Olympic football tournament but withdrew last month after sufferring a back injury during training.
However, he played for Tottenham, his English Premier League club — and scored a goal — in a pre-season friendly against the Los Angeles Galaxy, the club of former England captain David Beckham, in California on Tuesday. So far the FA, the organising football authority for a British team managed by former England defender Stuart Pearce and the British Olympic Association have not commented on Bale's involvement against the Galaxy.
However, Blatter said that if FIFA received an official complaint then the 23-year-old Bale could be banned from Spurs duty, including friendlies, until August 12. Asked about Bale, Blatter told Britain's Press Association: "The principle is that if a club does not release a player then this association can come to FIFA and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics.
First Published: Jul 26, 2012 00:09 IST