Neymar signs five-year deal with Barca
Brazilian football star Neymar on Monday signed a five-year contract with Spanish powerhouse FC Barcelona and will travel to Spain next week for the official presentation.
The 21-year star, whose full name is Neymar da Silva Santos Junior, announced his choice on his Instagram account Saturday after receiving offers from both the Catalan club and its rival Real Madrid.
"I want to thank the Santos fans for nine incredible years," wrote Neymar, currently a forward for the storied Brazilian team Santos.
Neymar's agent Wagner Ribeiro said his client would be one of Barca's highest paid players, but did not disclose the financial terms of the deal.
"He will earn less than (Lionel) Messi, but he will make close to what (fellow Brazilian star) Kaka makes today," the agent told the Gazeta television channel.
"Neymar is on his way to getting the third or fourth highest salary among Barca players."
According to Spanish media, the transfer was valued at between $51.7 million and $64.6 million.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In this chat with Hindustan Times, Lobera talks about overcoming the challenges of this unique season and why he doesn’t want to put a limit on how far this Mumbai team can go.
- Bopanna and Qureshi will renew their highly fruitful partnership - labelled popularly as the “Indo-Pak Express” - for the first time since 2014, signing up to play the ATP 500 Acapulco event beginning from March 15.
- Jarmanpreet Singh of India opened the score board for India in the fourth minute while Martin Haner scored for Germany.
- The world No.10 men’s doubles pair was greeted by a new member of the coaching staff - former world No.1 in men’s doubles, Mathias Boe.
- Barcelona have denied involvement in the scandal but following Monday’s events, the spotlight is back on the club, and it remains to be seen where it leads Messi.