Schweinsteiger gets second chance to upstage Ronaldo
When Portugal last played Germany, Cristiano Ronaldo was upstaged by tricky winger with an eye for goal and Bastian Schweinsteiger is eager to make the same impact in Thursday's Euro 2008 quarter-final.
Schweinsteiger left it too late to produce his best form at the 2006 World Cup but when he did it was spectacular, as he scored twice in Germany's 3-1 win over Portugal for the third-place.
"I had a fantastic match at the World Cup and that does play a role, mentally speaking," Schweinsteiger said at a news conference on Wednesday.
"This is going to be a much harder game. Portugal have improved since then and I think they're the strongest team here.
"I should meet Ronaldo on the same bit of the pitch but Portugal are not just about him. They also have Deco, Simao, (Joao) Moutinho."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The lightweight division will see another exciting match-up as Kiwi fighter Dan Hooker (20-9) faces former Bellator champion Michael Chandler (21-5).
- It wasn’t just the Indian fans celebrating but everyone in and around the world lauded the spirit shown by the Indian cricket team in Australia.
- Before he starts work with a preparatory camp likely to be in Dubai from March, Stimac spoke about why he is happy with what he has seen in ISL this season and more in this exclusive interview.
- Ashley Barnes scored from the penalty spot in the 83rd minute after the forward was brought down by goalkeeper Alisson Becker as Burnley became the first team to win in the league at Anfield since April 2017.
- With big names missing, the focus will be on Narsingh Yadav, who is making a return after serving a four-year doping ban.
- Sergio Aguero had already been self-isolating after being identified as a close contact of someone infected.
- The Czech Football Association has disputed claims that Cristiano Ronaldo broke the all-time goal-scoring record, insisting he needs another 62 to surpass Josef Bican’s tally.
- Thomas Bach reaffirmed his commitment to holding the Tokyo Olympics later this year.
- Dalot, 21, is at the heart of the defense of an AC Milan side which has been propelled to the top of the Italian league by the 39-year-old Ibrahimovic.