Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates his 1,000th victory on Tour after beating Feliciano Lopez of Spain.(Getty Images)
Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates his 1,000th victory on Tour after beating Feliciano Lopez of Spain.(Getty Images)

Rafael Nadal earns his 1000th win in an empty and silent stadium

Nadal reached his milestone amid a cathedral-like silence Wednesday in a 20,000-seater stadium left completely empty because of the coronavirus pandemic.
By Associated Press | Paris
UPDATED ON NOV 05, 2020 09:09 AM IST

Becoming only the fourth man to reach 1,000 match wins should have drawn deafening cheers and a standing ovation for tennis great Rafael Nadal.

Instead, he reached his milestone amid a cathedral-like silence Wednesday in a 20,000-seater stadium left completely empty because of the coronavirus pandemic. There was only a fist-bump from Feliciano Lopez, after Nadal beat him 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 in a subdued atmosphere more worthy of a library study area than a sports arena.

“The real feeling, the personal feeling is completely different,” Nadal said. “It makes a big difference that the court is empty.”

The 34-year-old Nadal joins towering company in Jimmy Connors (1,274), Roger Federer (1,242) and Ivan Lendl (1,068) as the only men’s 1,000-club members since the Open era began in 1968. “I know it is a very special number, one thousand,” Nadal said. “Even if it’s not the same to celebrate something like this without a crowd.”

Nadal smiled as he posed at the net with the number 1,000 displayed on the court in a brief ceremony, and then walked off center court like after any other match. It was the second milestone he reached in Paris this year, having won the French Open last month to tie Federer on 20 majors. But while 1,000 fans cheered him at Roland Garros, none were at the Bercy Arena.

“Of course it’s sad, the level of energy is difficult to compare,” Nadal said. “So the feeling, even if 1,000 (fans) or 1,500 or 2,000 is not a lot.”

The 34-year-old’s first win came in May 2002 at the age of 15, when he beat Paraguayan Ramon Delgado in the first round at Mallorca. A year later, the 16-year-old Nadal stunned the tennis world by beating French Open champion Albert Costa under floodlights in the second round at the Monte Carlo Masters.

By the age of 24, he had already reached 500 wins. His career tally also includes 35 Masters titles and 86 tournament victories overall. The 39-year-old Lopez won their first meeting back in 2003 and had beaten Nadal four times overall. He had 22 aces and troubled a sluggish Nadal, who failed to convert six break points in the second set but broke immediately at the start of the third.

“I started the match the worst way possible, especially against a big server like Feli,” Nadal said. “After that I played under a lot of pressure the rest of the match, but I found a way.”

Nadal, who has never won this tournament, next plays Jordan Thompson of Australia, who upset 15th-seeded Croat Borna Coric 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. Alexander Zverev joined Nadal in the third round by beating Miomir Kecmanovic 6-2, 6-2. The fourth-seeded German did not face a break point against the 42nd-ranked Serb. Zverev hit eight aces and converted his first match point. Chasing a third title of the year, he next faces Adrian Mannarino of France.

Fifth-seeded Andrey Rublev easily won 6-1, 6-2 against Radu Albot for a tour-leading 40th win of the year, moving one ahead of top-ranked Novak Djokovic. Rublev won the Erste Bank Open in Vienna last Sunday for a tour-leading fifth title of the season and next plays three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka. The 12th-seeded Swiss won 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2 against unseeded American Tommy Paul.

Meanwhile, No. 3 Russian Daniil Medevev advanced after Kevin Anderson retired when trailing 5-2 in the first-set tiebreaker because of a right leg injury. No. 6 Diego Schwartzman beat Frenchman Richard Gasquet 7-5, 6-3, keeping the Argentine on course to clinch the final spot for the Nov. 15-22 ATP Finals in London. He can guarantee that by reaching the semifinals in Paris.

No. 10 Milos Raonic also advanced by winning 6-4, 6-4 against Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert. The big-serving Canadian, a runner-up here in 2014, had 11 aces and concluded with a sliced volley at the net. He next faces American Marcos Giron.

No. 16 Alex de Minaur also advanced with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Italian Lorenzo Sonego — the runner-up to Rublev last Sunday.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
app
Close
Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)
Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)

Two more Australian Open players test positive for COVID-19

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 20, 2021 07:52 AM IST
A total of 10 people associated with the Grand Slam, including four players, have now tested positive for the virus.
Close
File photo of Indian tennis star Sania Mirza(HT Sports)
File photo of Indian tennis star Sania Mirza(HT Sports)

Sania Mirza reveals she had contracted coronavirus

ANI
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 11:10 PM IST
Sania revealed that staying away from her two-year-old child was the toughest thing she faced after testing positive for Covid-19. She also said that the virus is no joke and everyone should take every precaution possible.
Close
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)

Two Australian Open players test positive for coronavirus: officials

AFP, Sydney
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 11:47 AM IST
The Victoria state health department said a total of nine people have tested positive while in quarantine ahead of the event in Melbourne, but two cases were deemed to be historical infections on Tuesday.
Close
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)

Australian Open boss says 'vast majority' of players back hard quarantine

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 11:16 AM IST
More than 70 players and their entourage are confined to their hotel rooms for 14 days and unable to train for the Feb. 8-21 Australian Open after passengers on three charter flights returned positive tests for the novel coronavirus.
Close
Tennis - French Open - Roland Garros, Paris, France - October 3, 2020 Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut in action during his third round match against Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta REUTERS/Charles Platiau(REUTERS)
Tennis - French Open - Roland Garros, Paris, France - October 3, 2020 Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut in action during his third round match against Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta REUTERS/Charles Platiau(REUTERS)

Bautista Agut says hotel quarantine like jail with Wifi

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 09:05 AM IST
A number of top players, including world number one Novak Djokovic, have questioned the need for mandatory hotel quarantine but Victorian premier Daniel Andrews said it was essential to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Close
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter//File Photo(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter//File Photo(REUTERS)

3 more COVID-19 cases linked to Australian Open arrivals

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 07:22 AM IST
There are 72 players now in hard quarantine and unable to practice because of nine active coronavirus cases — an increase in three — among the incoming travelers to Melbourne.
Close
File image of Rohan Bopanna.(File)
File image of Rohan Bopanna.(File)

Bopanna stuck in Australian Open quarantine, Gabba Test a solace

By Rutvick Mehta
PUBLISHED ON JAN 19, 2021 04:25 AM IST
First, India’s top-ranked doubles player learnt that his coach Scott Davidoff had to be quarantined as he was in the Los Angeles flight from which two positive cases came to light on Saturday.
Close
File image of Davis Cup.(Twitter/Davis Cup)
File image of Davis Cup.(Twitter/Davis Cup)

Davis Cup Finals up to 11 days in 2021, could be in 3 cities

PTI
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 08:30 PM IST
The ITF announced Monday that the international men's tennis team event will run from Nov. 25 to Dec. 5, with 18 countries participating in six groups of three.
Close
The giant Australian Open logo is seen full of tennis balls ahead of the 2019 Australian Open at Melbourne Park(Getty Images)
The giant Australian Open logo is seen full of tennis balls ahead of the 2019 Australian Open at Melbourne Park(Getty Images)

Tennis players getting on with life in Australia

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 04:38 PM IST
Angelique Kerber, who won the Australian Open in 2016, spent her birthday in quarantine on Monday. At times in the past, she's spent the day playing or preparing for matches in the later stages of the tournament.
Close
Serbia's Novak Djokovic(REUTERS)
Serbia's Novak Djokovic(REUTERS)

Groth slams 'selfish' Djokovic after quarantine 'demands'

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 03:27 PM IST
A Spanish tennis website reported that Djokovic wrote to Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley with a list of "demands", asking for reduced isolation periods.
Close
Tennis players taking part in the Australian Open are escorted to their training session in Melbourne, Australia, January 18, 2021. (REUTERS)
Tennis players taking part in the Australian Open are escorted to their training session in Melbourne, Australia, January 18, 2021. (REUTERS)

Australian Open: Players get creative to handle lockdown boredom

Reuters
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 11:16 AM IST
Other players who arrived on different flights are also undertaking a mandatory quarantine but are permitted to leave their hotel rooms for five hours a day to train.
Close
Japan's Naomi Osaka arrives at Adelaide Airport ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship, Adelaide. Arriving players will serve a 14-day quarantine period ahead of the first Grand slam tennis tournament that is set to get underway on February 8 in Melbourne.(AP)
Japan's Naomi Osaka arrives at Adelaide Airport ahead of the Australian Open tennis championship, Adelaide. Arriving players will serve a 14-day quarantine period ahead of the first Grand slam tennis tournament that is set to get underway on February 8 in Melbourne.(AP)

72 tennis players in lockdown after virus cases on flights

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 18, 2021 07:01 AM IST
  • That means they won't be allowed to leave their hotel rooms or practice for 14 days, creating a two-speed preparation period for the tournament. Other players in less rigorous quarantine will be allowed to practice for five hours daily.
Close
File photo of Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. (REUTERS)
File photo of Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. (REUTERS)

Players in lockdown after positive virus cases in Australia

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 17, 2021 02:51 PM IST
Some players were angry at being classified as close contacts merely for being on board those flights with people who later tested positive and, therefore, forced into a harsher quarantine than the broader group of players who’ll be allowed out of their rooms to practice for up to five hours per day.
Close
FILE PHOTO: Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo.(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo.(REUTERS)

Australian Open arrivals hit by 4 COVID-19 positive tests

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 17, 2021 11:35 AM IST
  • Health authorities confirmed there'd been three positive tests for COVID-19 returned on Saturday, and another on Sunday. None of the cases have so far involved players.
Close
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne, Australia, January 14, 2018. Tennis balls are pictured in front of the Australian Open logo before the tennis tournament. REUTERS/Thomas Peter/File Photo(REUTERS)

Australian Open arrivals hit by 3 COVID-19 positive tests

AP
PUBLISHED ON JAN 17, 2021 04:30 AM IST
Forty-seven players from the two affected flights — arriving from Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi — are now in a strict 14-day quarantine, unable to leave their hotel rooms or practice. The Australian Open starts Feb. 8.
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP