UPDATED ON AUG 08, 2021 10:53 AM IST
India getting an Olympic medal in athletics seemed impossible enough. Then Neeraj Chopra went and got a gold. Can this spark a track and field revolution in India?
UPDATED ON AUG 06, 2021 10:18 PM IST
- 'Flying Finn' Paavo Nurmi and 'Czech Locomotive' Emil Zatopek belong to the rarest club in running. In Tokyo, Dutch runner Sifan Hassan almost joined them as she chased a distance running treble.
UPDATED ON AUG 06, 2021 02:18 PM IST
- India's Olympic hockey medal is the dawn of a new day. Here's what we need to do to build on this beginning.
PUBLISHED ON AUG 04, 2021 10:07 PM IST
- If there’s one activity in India to which some parallel can be drawn, one sport that can learn from this example, it is wrestling.
PUBLISHED ON AUG 03, 2021 09:56 PM IST
- The fastest time in the world since 1992 until last month is now the fifth fastest, destined to slip further down the pecking order by the time Warholm and Benjamin are done.
By Kunal Pradhan, New Delhi
UPDATED ON AUG 02, 2021 11:02 PM IST
The only man putting his hands together to give Tamberi his beat was Qatar’s Mutaz Essa Barshim, the double world champion high jumper, and the man the Italian was trying to defeat.
UPDATED ON AUG 02, 2021 08:34 AM IST
- The importance of Kamalpreet to Indian sport cannot be overstated on a day when she will step into a circle 2.5m in diameter, with a 1kg disc in her hand, and look to hurl it beyond the margins of history.
UPDATED ON AUG 02, 2021 08:24 AM IST
- The last time the Indian team reached the semi-final (other than 1980) was in 1972, on grass. And if they go on to win a medal of any colour, it will be worth several golds.
UPDATED ON AUG 02, 2021 08:13 AM IST
Jamaica is the land of yams and jerk sauce, fast bowlers and wicketkeepers, reggae and the Rasta life. In the last two decades, it’s also come to be known as the land of the champion Olympic sprinters.
UPDATED ON AUG 02, 2021 08:18 AM IST
- Medals are only one way to measure the march of a sporting nation such as India, which still doesn’t have a system or culture that promotes excellence on the field of play. A better, more crucial yardstick is whether more of our athletes are being able to get in contention.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 28, 2021 10:34 PM IST
- Every Olympic success has a backstory and a cascading effect that exemplifies the power of sport to inspire. Each medal is steeped in history and plants a seed for the future.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 28, 2021 07:03 AM IST
On Monday, the American champion, 24, and the Australian challenger, 20, crossed paths in a race for the ages.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 11:26 PM IST
Ma Long had said before the Games that if he lost a single game, it would be letting his country down.
By Kunal Pradhan, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JUL 25, 2021 09:26 PM IST
Anthony Nesty, now a coach in Florida, who set the ball rolling 33 years ago, should take a bow.
UPDATED ON JUL 25, 2021 03:09 AM IST
- If the Olympics are meant to be more about the struggle than the triumph, then the stories that stand out are not those of dominance, but those of redemption. Redemption of the kind that Mirabai Chanu experienced in Tokyo on an extraordinary Saturday morning for Indian sport.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 23, 2021 09:37 PM IST
- On the eve of the Tokyo Olympics, being held a year later than scheduled in the shadow of a virus and amid opposition from the Japanese public, there is some logic to this simple question: Why hold the Games in the middle of a pandemic? The answers offered by most experts point to economics, and accurately so.
UPDATED ON JUL 23, 2021 08:22 AM IST
What is perhaps the greatest of the symbols was devised by a French aristocrat who had fulfilled his dream of recreating Ancient Olympia by managing to convince the world that sport, at the turn of the 20th century, would cement the bond between nations, some newly formed and newly evolved